Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Can somebody help me on this?

In the summer of 2003, after the death of comedic legend, Bob Hope, I checked out "Don't Shoot, It's Only Me" from the library. It was an autobiography of Mr. Hope. It was then that I started contemplating a career in comedy rather than politics. I started writing down comedy bits and whatnot after that. Regardless, I still applied to be the campus coordinator at Bradley for Sen. Lieberman's presidential campaign. However, there was basicially no political presence on campus of either the College Democrats or College Republicans so I had my work cut out and couldn't really do anything!

It was during parents weekend at Bradley University that I discovered that there was an improv troupe on campus by the name of Barbeque Kitten. It was that weekend that I decided to officially quit politics and enter the world of Jewish comics. Sadly, while rehearsing very hard all year, I did not make the troupe at all for any performance. I did, however, take a theatre practicum class which required me to partipate in two productions. One had to be a mainstage production; the other could be a lab production. I decided to sign up for 24-hour theatre and that was officially the longest day of my life! I was cast in the minor role of playing a movie studio executive (how ironic?). Many of my friends said that I had proved them wrong with my comedic timing and my performance.

After transferring closer to home, I auditioned for a new improv group that was starting on campus. However, the lead guy decided to quit school and move to Cleveland--so much for trying to get back into comedy and acting! There is still a chance of heading in theacting/comedy direction as NKU has an improv class (and the theatre department is one of the best in the state), just a matter of finding time to fit it in my schedule.

Anyway, it was when I stayed at my cousin's apartment while my brother had his orientation during the week of President Reagan's funeral coverage that I decided to get back into planning for a career in law and politics.

I have plans to stay in politics for the forseeable future but lately have considered getting back on the improv/sketch comedy circuit. Should I consider going back into the entertainment field and I am contemplating this, I will have to do my best to avoid the "Hollywood liberal" label.

Any comedy writers out there read this or anyone from Hollywood in general?

No comments: