Sunday, April 22, 2007

Wildcat action

What's going on in the world of Kentucky basketball?

We should know this week about Jai Lucas' decision. Patrick Patterson will likely hold out til mid-May when the signing period ends. MSNBC has more.
Patterson and Lucas were joined by 19 of the nation's top high school players, following practice for Saturday's All-American Jordan Brand Classic at Madison Square Garden.[...]

Patterson and Lucas were recruited heavily by former Kentucky coach Tubby Smith, who left the Wildcats for Minnesota.

Lucas was upset but thought "it was a blessing in disguise" as Smith's departure opened up new opportunities.

"I'm really trying to put an end to it," Lucas said of the recruiting process while his dad, former NBA coach and player John Lucas stood nearby.

"I took my last and final visit. I went to Florida, so I think I'll have a decision by sometime next week."

"You know Florida, they always been on my list," Lucas said. "Coach Donovan's recruited me since my sophomore year. But he said he didn't feel it was the right situation with Taurean Green still there. So once Taurean Green went to the NBA, it's an opportunity to look at. Coach Donovan is a guard coach and I am a guard, so that's a big thing."

Patterson was also upset over Smith's departure. But, like Lucas, he understands what happened and will "take it all the way out to May" before choosing his school.
As a UK fan, I don't understand how anyone could possibly consider Florida. They are a football school first and foremost and will never have the luck they did this year again.

Kerry Benson will join the Wildcats next season as a walk-on.
Kerry Benson, a 6-6 forward from Pleasure Ridge Park High School, announced last night that he has accepted an offer to be a walk-on for the University of Kentucky.

"I've always wanted to play for UK," he said.

Benson said former UK coach Tubby Smith extended a walk-on offer the day before he left to take the Minnesota job.

After the hiring of Billy Gillispie, new UK assistant Jeremy Cox renewed the offer.

No comments: