Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Fincher on advanced screenings

David Fincher has some really harsh things to say about advanced screenings.
"Embargoes … look, if it were up to me, I wouldn’t show movies to anybody before they were released," Fincher told Miami Herald critic Rene Rodriguez. "I wouldn’t give clips to talk shows. I would do one trailer and three television spots and let the chips fall where they may....If I had my way, the New York Film Critics Circle would not have seen this movie and then we would not be in this situation. I would be opening this movie on Wednesday Dec. 21, and I would have three screenings on Tuesday Dec. 20 and that would be it."
As a film buff, I've seen a huge amount of promotional screenings, the most recent being War Horse last week. They might take away from the box office but in the long run, they add to the box office as the word of mouth spreads around.

I'm not a professional critic. G-d knows how many we have of those...I always find it interesting when the local paper publishes the worst review for a highly praised film. Maybe that's just me though.

No comments: