Tuesday, September 26, 2006

George Clooney for Senate? Congress?

I just saw this over at Pat Crowley's blog. The AP story is here.
Oscar winner George Clooney shrugged off suggestions Monday that he might run for political office - but he sure sounded like a politician doing it.

The actor-director skillfully deflected a barrage of questions from reporters about a potential Clooney candidacy, after appearing at an event where Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed legislation aimed at helping stop genocidal violence in the Darfur region of Sudan.

Told that fans are clamoring for the "Syriana" star to run for office, he said with a subtle head shake, "Believe me, you don't want me in politics."

When asked what he thought about people wearing T-shirts urging Clooney to seek the presidency in 2008, he added, "I think they're probably kidding."

Asked again if he would try to get his name on a ballot, Clooney said, "That's a bad idea."

Clooney, a liberal Democrat, is well known for his activism. Lately, he has been urging Congress and the United Nations to help end atrocities in the Darfur.

When it comes to his own future, maybe he was just trying to lower expectations.
I've never met George Clooney but I've met some of his other family members. I await the day that he will enter his name for public office.

No comments: