Thursday, October 12, 2006

Meeting Al Franken and Tucker Carlson

Let's see. I walked over shortly before 2 PM since I wanted to ensure that I had some good seats...second row in the student lecture was not bad.

Dr. Teten moderated the student lecture and he asked some of his own questions before opening it up to the floor in which I was the first student to ask a question. Mine was "What are your thoughts on the power that The Daily Show has on young voters, and to Tucker, if offered, would you ever go on?"

Tucker answered first saying that if TDS is the only place you get your news from, then you shouldn't be registered to vote. He has no intentions to go on because he doesn't think that he should use it as an avenue to sell his books. Franken says that it's a great show.

After the student lecture, I got Al to sign my copy of his book, Why Not Me?. I told him to inscribe it to Daniel (me) and that I'm the grassroots leader for Bayh 2008 (You can imagine my reaction when I heard that Warner pulled out). I had Tucker sign my printed photo of him as well as an index card for a friend out in California who is OBSESSED with Tucker. I told Tucker of how I was in the Crossfire audience on the day that Elizabeth Smart was found. He said that he still remembers that day. I remember who the guests were: Hussein Ibish and Cliff May. The topic was Arab fingerprinting.

Tucker flat out said during the student lecture that Jim Talent is an idiot. He's a conservative who disagrees with a lot of what the Bush administration is doing and he's always been one of my favorites. Until it was cancelled, I watched Crossfire every day. Every single day...unless of course I had class.

Since I'm in SGA and we were one of the sponsors of the lecture series, we had our sponsor photo with Tucker and Al. I told Al, "Shanah tovah...and there are Jews in KY." He replied of being at an event 6 years ago in my hometown of Louisville. I told him, whether or not he makes it official, that he has my complete support in 2008 when if he decides to run for the United States Senate against Norm Coleman.

After the photo ops, I went upstairs to the VIP reception to mingle with folks. I had a few turkey sandwhiches. Anyway, when they came up from the book signing, I had Al sign an index card for the Alben Barkley Museum in Paducah, KY, per request from a Democrat I know out there.

During the VIP reception, I had the chance to talk with Tucker and Al some more and getting some photos with them. Dr. Teten was taking a ton of pics during the VIP reception upon request...I wonder if I could make him my official campaign photographer if and when I ever run for office. I also chatted with President Votruba and mentioned how that it was my birthday today and that it may go down as one of the greatest birthdays ever. Anyway, as a result, he amended his prepared remarks to include that it was my birthday as well as the quote I made. As a result, he led a group singing of Happy Birthday. You could only imagine the reaction I got. I mean, I have had to go without cake on my actual birthday the past three years in a row so I was glad that at least I could have someone sing for a change. Again, thank you, Mr. President.

Now about that evening lecture, it was so entertaining. So entertaining that I wish I had a tape recorder or something. I mean, Tucker had me cracking up a storm. Franken had me cracking up a storm. Parts were devoted to Iraq, illegal immigration, gay abortion (thanks to a goof by Al Franken), gay marriage, abortion, etc.

Luckily, I was able to finish my camera roll tonight. This debate was well worth it, no doubt about that. I enjoyed it. In my two and a half years at Northern Kentucky University, this was the most entertaining one I have attended.

No comments: