Monday, March 31, 2008

Billy G pulling for Kansas and Bill Self

Any other year and we would have had the four most storied programs playing in this weekend's final four but it was a down year for the University of Kentucky Wildcats. Needless to say, I am pulling for Bill Self and the Kansas Jayhawks. Guess who else is? Billy Gillispie.
One of Self’s closest friends, Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie, is thrilled Self today is back in an Elite Eight contest.

“I’ll have my ears and eyes on the game,” Gillispie told the Journal-World in a phone interview, indicating he’d be here in person if not for the fact he has to work.

Coaches at places like KU and UK do not take many days off.

“As a friend, it’d be pure joy for me (if KU wins). Nothing against the opponent, but this would be very emotional for me. I will be pulling for him as hard as I can. This is like pulling for a brother trying to advance to the Final Four for the first time. He is absolutely the reason I’ve had any opportunities in coaching,” Gillispie added.

Gillispie said he’d make one of the happiest phone calls of his life this evening if KU comes out on top.

“I’ll leave a message alongside a million of his other friends. The love and respect...the friendship I have with Bill Self, it could be a very emotional day,” Gillispie said.

No comments: