Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Butchering of the Oath

Here's the transcript of what actually went down yesterday afternoon:
Roberts: Are you prepared to take the oath, senator?
Obama: I am
Roberts: I Barack Hussein Obama
Obama: I Barack
Roberts: do Solemnly swear
Obama: I Barack Hussein Obama do solemnly swear
Roberts: That I will execute the office of President to the United States faithfully
Obama: that I will execute
Roberts: the off...faithfully the Pres the office of President of the United States
Obama: the office of President of the United States faithfully
Roberts: and will to the best of my ability
Obama: and will to the best of my ability
Roberts: preserve, protect, and defend the constitution of the United States
Obama: preserve, protect, and defend the constitution of the United States
Roberts: So help you G-d
Obama: So help me G-d
Roberts: Congratulations, Mr. President

The oath, as required by Article 2, Section 1 in the United States Constitution reads as follows: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

No comments: