Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Jonathan Miller endorses Jack Conway for United States Senate

I just saw this on the facebook newsfeed under Jonathan's fan page.

Why I Am Supporting Jack Conway for the US Senate
By Jonathan Miller

Today, I am proud to announce that I am officially endorsing Attorney General Jack Conway in the 2010 race for the United States Senate in Kentucky.

We’ve decided to use an unusual approach to announce this endorsement. No formal stand-up press conference or paper releases. Instead, we are using a combination of Twitter, Facebook, the blogosphere, and email blasts to get the word out.

There is a message to this method.

This election is about who will lead the next generation of Kentuckians. This is a generation proficient in the new technologies of our Internet age. It is a generation committed to the timeless instruction to “love your neighbor as yourself.” And it is also a generation that is deeply committed to the future of our country: a return to a robust economy, access to affordable health care, respect for the great diversity of all Americans, and a commitment to our stewardship role to the planet.

I believe that Jack Conway is the right person to lead this next generation.

I am endorsing Jack Conway for the United States Senate because I believe he is the most qualified person to represent Kentucky in Washington. Jack’s record of protecting Kentucky children from cybercrimes, Kentucky seniors from elder abuse, and Kentucky’s consumers from fraud demonstrates his ability to tackle 21st century problems with traditional Kentucky values. That is why we need Jack Conway in the United States Senate, and why I am dedicated to helping him win.

I am very fortunate to be personal friends with all three major candidates in this race. I have been pleased to work with Lt. Governor Daniel Mongiardo in the Beshear Administration and proud that my endorsement in the 2007 race played a role in helping him secure that position. I know that he is a man who sincerely and passionately wants to make our home state an even better place for our children. I have known Secretary of State Trey Grayson since I served as his teaching assistant nearly two decades ago when he was an undergraduate at Harvard. He is a man of character and integrity who, like me, married way “up”—his wife Nancy is simply a wonderful human being.

But this race is not about personality and friendship. It is about vision and values. And I believe that Jack Conway has the best vision and the right values to lead Kentucky as a United States Senator. And significantly, Jack Conway will best represent the future of Kentucky – the next generation, Lisa and my two daughters, and his and Elizabeth’s new baby girl, Eva – through the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century.

No comments: