Friday, August 20, 2010

Seth Rogen believes in Marvel

As far as the movies are concerned, Marvel has really been on the ball over the past decade.

Seth Rogen commented recently on being a true believer of Marvel Comics.
Seth Rogen grew up loving Marvel Comics -- especially the high body-count exploits of Punisher and Deadpool -- and the years haven't softened his disdain for that other company. "I like Marvel," the actor and writer says. "I've kind of given up on DC at this point."[...]

"I hang out at a lot of comic book stores so that smell to me is genuine. The musk of the nerd reading the page. I loved comic books. But I don't like, keep them. If I did, I'd have so many.... I tend to collect things already and there are so many things that I have. Comic books are hard to justify. So mostly I read them once then I tried to give them to other people. I started reading them in 1980s and they were not really worth anything because they were so mass-produced by that point and everyone was saving them by then. If I started earlier before there were infinite amounts of all of them...."

"I always loved Punisher," said the 28-year-old Vancouver, Canada, native. "And I remember when Deadpool came out I loved that because he was funny. He was kind of crazy and funny and it was super-violent. It was like Frank Castle but he was funny. Or it was like Spider-Man if he was murdering people and wisecracking."[...]

"When I was watching this last X-Men movie, at the end they sewed up his mouth and I was like, 'What the hell are they doing?' Evan [Goldberg, my writing partner] and I will still talk about that; we'll be driving and just say, 'I can't believe they sewed up Deadpool's mouth.' I mean, why would you do that? 'We'll take a character known for his wisecracks and saying funny stuff and we'll just lose that entire aspect of him.' He's called the 'Merc with the Mouth.' I mean, that's what they call him."[...]

"I was pretty into Marvel growing up. Ed Brubaker came on the set of 'Green Hornet' a couple of times. That's what's cool is meeting these guys. I met him at Comic-Con a few years ago. It was one of those surreal moments at Comic-Con because it was me, Method Man and Ed Brubaker. But he's great.I love his stuff. But I like Marvel. I've kind of given up on DC at this point."

No comments: