Friday, July 08, 2011

An Apatow Roundup of sorts

There's much do to debate about Judd Apatow's string of films lately, whether it be one that he produced or directed. However, Bridesmaids has been a runaway hit. It has passed Knocked Up and Sex and the City to become the highest grossing movies for Apatow and R-Rated female comedies respectively.
Through Tuesday, Bridesmaids' North America gross was $148.1 million, just behind Knocked Up, which cumed $148.8 million in 2007, and Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, which earned $148.2 million domestically in 2006. Barring unforeseen interference from the Transformers sequel, Bridesmaids should pass both those movies Wednesday night.[...]

In the U.S., Bridesmaids was released May 13 and is still playing in a little fewer than 2,000 theaters. Sex and the City grossed $153 million in 2008 but had the advantage of being based on a popular HBO series, which contributed to a whopping $57 million opening weekend. Bridesmaids, on the other hand, opened at a strong-but-not-blockbuster $26 million yet has continued to lure audiences based on strong word-of-mouth.
Director Paul Feig talks about the success of the movie and talks of a sequel. Feig is at work writing Dumb Jock, which is expected to star both Jon Hamm and Melissa McCarthy.
So, what are you doing to celebrate becoming the biggest Judd Apatow production ever at the box office?
I’m still kinda buried at work right now, but I’m just really, really happy. It’s kinda what I secretly hoped would happen. The funny thing was, pretty much from the moment we wrapped and started editing, Judd would always — joking, but serious — refer to this as his most successful film. It was really exciting that it actually turned out to be that.[...]

When that phenomenon happens in Hollywood it seems like a sequel has to follow. Would you do a Bridesmaids 2?
It’s not officially been moved toward, but I’d be very open to it. It would just have to be as good or better than this one. What you don’t want to do is the one that ruins the memory of the first one. But nothing would make me happier if we could make another one with this amazing cast, and people go, “That’s awesome!” If it’s as good or as better than the first one, that would be fantastic. Because everything around it was great — the cast, the people behind the scenes, the stories we’re telling, the fact that we get to do movies for and with hugely talented women. What could be better than that? It would be great to carry that on, but, again, it has to be high quality.
In other comedy news, Seth Meyers talked to the Chicago Tribune about how he went from being an improviser in Chicago to a member of the SNL cast.
Q: But this time, you're doing stand-up. What do you plan to talk about?
A: I enjoy talking about politics a great deal. And I get to talk about myself a bit more than I do on "SNL." It's nice to have an hour on your own without the repercussions of how it will effect the sketches on either side of you. It's also really nice to do comedy again while standing up. It's weird to sit as a comedian. Being still drives me crazy. I somehow have a job that means I have to sit and wear a tie.[...]

Q: How much longer on "SNL"?
A: I want to do the job for a couple more years. Being bored is the thing I'm most afraid of when I leave, Chris. I love the pace of TV.

Q. You could do movies.
A: I don't think I'm particularly good at them. It's nice when I get offered small parts. But I really think that "SNL" is what my skill set is best designed for. I feel that less on a movie. I have managed to work my job into where the only range required of me is that I have to dress up.

No comments: