Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Statement from Jim Joyce

Jim Joyce regrets his now-controversial call from what would have been the 21st perfect game in MLB history and the 3rd on of the 2001 season.
Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers lost his bid for a perfect game Wednesday night with two outs in the ninth inning on a call that first base umpire Jim Joyce later admitted he blew.

First baseman Miguel Cabrera cleanly fielded Jason Donald’s grounder to his right and made an accurate throw to Galarraga covering the bag. The ball was there in time, and all of Comerica Park was ready to celebrate the 3-0 win over Cleveland, until Joyce emphatically signaled safe.[...]

“I just cost that kid a perfect game,” Joyce said. “I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay.”

“It was the biggest call of my career,” said Joyce, who became a full-time major league umpire in 1989.
Jody Demling of the CJ uploaded a photo of the play:


Funny or Die:
Yo, Ken Griffey Jr- I'm happy for you, & I'ma let you finish, but Umpire Jim Joyce is the biggest baseball story of all day. OF ALL DAY.

No comments: