Thursday, November 30, 2006

2007: Ben Chandler makes official decision

This deserved a post of it's own.

Chandler Makes Announcement Regarding Political Future

LEXINGTON, KY (November 30, 2006) Congressman Ben Chandler will stay in Congress and will not run for Governor in 2007. Long and careful consideration with his family and friends across Kentucky led to this decision.

"On November 7th, more than 158,000 voters in the Sixth Congressional District elected me for the third time to represent them in Washington. I am humbled by the support of the voters of Central Kentucky, and I intend to honor their support by giving my full commitment to the job I was elected to do.

"I am proud of what I have accomplished in just a few short years in Congress. I don't believe I should leave after only three years in Congress, at a time when I am just beginning to gain some experience in this job. Now, with rising seniority and a Democratic majority, I have the opportunity to do so much more for my constituents and for the people of Kentucky.

"Kentucky needs progressive leadership in Washington. Leaders willing to be forward-thinking on matters such as the environment and alternative energy. Leaders willing to make investments in education and in promising new technology in areas such as stem cell research. That's the kind of leader I want to be for Kentucky in Washington.

"The Governor's office will always have a special appeal to me. I feel an incredible sense of duty and respect for that office; however, now is not the right time for me to run for Governor.

"There is no question that there is a critical need for a change of leadership in Frankfort next year. I am eagerly committed to electing a Democratic ticket that will provide real hope and leadership for all Kentuckians. Kentucky deserves and demands better, and I will do everything I can to help bring needed change.

"I love our Commonwealth and feel so fortunate that the voters in the Sixth Congressional District trust me to serve them in Congress at such an important juncture in our nation's history. I look forward to continuing my work in Congress under new leadership that will bring a new direction for our state and our country."

No comments: