Thursday, October 02, 2008

A message from Brad Meltzer

A while back, I posted a few videos from YouTube that I recieved from Brad Meltzer with regards to saving the Superman house. Anyway, they had a goal of raising $50,000. Instead, they raised $101,000! Here's excerpts of the email Brad sent out:

One month ago, I asked for your help in launching the Invisible Army. You didn't know what it was for. You didn't know what we had planned. But you said yes. And that meant so damn much. And so, as I finally now come home from the full month of the book tour, I just wanted to say thank you for what you unleashed. First, of course, I appreciate what you did with The Book of Lies, talking it up to whoever would listen. It was one of the most outrageous launches we've ever had (and over and over again, when reporters would ask, I'd tell them it was because of the Invisible Army. Swear. They still don't believe me.)

But most important, thank you for what you did to save the house where Superman was created. As you know, the goal was to raise $50,000 just to work on the outside of the house. Instead, we raised $101,000. 101! Thousand! Which now means we'll be working on the inside of the house as well.

So let me be clear: you did this. When I was worried about getting the word out there, you stepped forward without even asking. You are a clear troublemaker and I love you for it. Make no mistake: what you did -- from passing the video along, to facebooking, to myspacing, to all the rest -- made a huge difference. So thanks for the trust and the faith and of course for putting the word out there from day one.

This has been one of the most incredible, humbling, spectacular experiences I've even been a part of. Of course, now the hard work begins as the Siegel & Shuster Society does the real fixing of the house. And just to show you what you unleashed, here's a photo from the impromptu clean-up at the house from this past weekend.

Finally, and perhaps most important, let me share what Jerry Siegel's wife and daughter asked me to share with everyone who has been a part of this:
We are overwhelmed by the generosity of everyone involved in this massive undertaking. We have great admiration for you and what you are accomplishing with the auction. We deeply appreciate the love and care you put into it. The amount of money that's already been raised to restore Jerry's house is a magnificent tribute to Jerry's memory!

We thank you and everyone who made this effort possible for honoring Jerry in this very special way.

Sincerely,
Joanne Siegel and Laura Siegel Larson
So again, thanks from here. And send love there.

Brad

No comments: