Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Evan Bayh won't run for President in 2012

Evan Bayh is not going to run against President Barack Obama in 2012.
Though it's not clear where they originated, Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.) dismissed rumors that he'd run for president in 2012.

Bayh said he wouldn't challenge President Barack Obama for reelection in 2012 as an independent or Democratic candidate when asked by Fox News anchor Neil Cavuto.

"I'm not running for president, I'm trying to do what's right for my state and our country," Bayh said. "And I'm willing to work with the president, Republicans -- anybody -- to get that job done."

It would be unusual though not unprecedented for a sitting senator to challenge a president of his own party. It would raise eyebrows for Bayh, especially, to do so, given the number of meetings he's had with the president over the past year.

"I don't know what to think of that, except the people who wrote that have too much time on their hands," the Indiana centrist said. "I'm focused on one thing and one thing only: trying to do a good job of representing the people of my state."

No comments: