Monday, July 30, 2012

CBS' Les Moonves defends NBC decision

CBS Corp. CEO Les Moonves defended NBC's decision to delay events to air in primetime here in the states.  According to Broadcasting and Cable:
"They had no alternative to do that. What are they going to do in primetime? They would have had to show events at 5 o'clock in the morning," Moonves told B&C. "They don't happen that way. If you don't want to know the result, don't go online. If you want to know the result, go online. But I don't know what people expected of them and I think they're doing a very good job of balancing it. I really do."

Moonves also said that if the Olympics aired on CBS, he would most likely employ the same tape-delay strategy to preserve the primetime viewership.

"I'm sure it took a lot of thought went into it, but I think almost definitely we would have done the same thing," he said. "I think they're handling it very well, I really do, I think they're doing a good job.
There you have it.  CBS would have done the exact same thing as NBC is doing.

I understand the argument about airing some of the events that receive large viewership live in the afternoon but at the same time, if it is aired in the afternoon, it would not get the same ratings that it would be receiving during the primetime broadcast.

Not everybody is capable of livestreaming while at work.

No comments: