Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Revolution: My thoughts on the new NBC series

Now last night, before watching the end of the Colts-Bears game on the DVR, I watched the pilot of Revolution, the new NBC series from J.J. Abrams and Eric Kripke, since it was being offered online and I knew for a fact that next week would not be a great week due to Yom Tov. While I don't exactly love what the producers did to the great city of Chicago, it kept my interest and I would go on to say that it lived up to the hype unlike last fall's Terra Nova.

Let's get one thing straight though. Placing this series after The Voice probably will not be the best idea. It's two different audiences. By playing up the survivalism concept of the show, NBC is appealing to that teen audience that fell in love with The Hunger Games. If it can hold it's own against Monday Night Football, Castle, and Hawaii 5-0, I think the series will do well enough to get a second season. It should have better luck than Alcatraz in my opinion.

I would have liked to have seen more of Elizabeth Mitchell but Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, Once Upon a Time) is a main cast member and after his performance on BB, I think he should draw viewers alone to see his performance.

The way that the pilot ends, I have some questions but with a show from Bad Robot Productions, I've come to expect that.

I expect Revolution to be heavily serialized. I also expect it to be the show that The Event was not. For NBC's sake, they should not place the series on a three month hiatus to air another program. I didn't work with The Event and against other hit programs at 10, it won't work with this show, either. I know that Smash is on board for the midseason so this could have 13 episodes and no back nine but at the same time, they could always move it to Sunday nights after football season but that's just speculation on my part!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have an interesting view on this show that I haven’t seen anywhere else but you’re right about questions at the end of the pilot. Then again you can’t give everything away from the get go. You may have something about the time slot that it’s in though but perhaps there will be a way to overcome that or the network will just move it to a different one. I’ve got my Hopper set to record the show and the PrimeTime Anytime will make sure that it gets recorded no matter what time slot it’s in. It’s got some very prominent TV actors so I’m hoping that this will carry the show until it’s a few episodes in. A few of my Dish co-workers were talking about this show a few days ago and it looks like I’m not the only one looking forward to it. Hopefully it will stay around for a while.