Monday, June 26, 2006

Superman Returns

I just got back from a sneak preview of Superman Returns and absolutely loved it.

For someone who never saw the original films (If I did, it has been several years), Brandon Routh does a superb job of filling in some large shoes left by the one and only Christopher Reeve (G-d bless his soul) as the legendary Clark Kent/Superman.

It's weird seeing James Marsden (Richard White) without his shades or visor from his days of playing Scott Summers/Cyclops in the X-Men films.

Kate Bosworth, usually a blonde, dies her hair to play Lois Lane. Lane, who has since moved on following the events of Superman II: The Donnor Cut, has to be rescued by Superman yet again. I've only seen Lois played by Teri Hatcher back when the TV series was on ABC but she does the role justice.

That brings me to Lex Luthor. Kevin Spacey, usually a good guy, plays the villainous criminal for a change. He didn't do a bad job either in my opinion.

Following the cast in the credits, the film was dedicated to the late Christopher and Dana Reeve. Rumor has it that it was also dedicated to Marlon Brando, who appears as Jor-El via archive footage, but I left before that appeared in the credits.

On a four star scale, I give it 3.5 stars.

No comments: