Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Could we see a third party in 2016?

I just remembered why I stopped doing commentary with regards to politics.  The amount of stupidity that comes out of the mouths of politicians as we get closer to the election.

It's not only the politicians but also the people that attend the conventions as we saw last night in Tampa.

A camera operator with CNN was attacked by two Republican delegates because the camera operator was an African-American.  It's comments like these that not only make me sick in my stomach but also afraid for our country.

What happened to the golden rule of treating others how you wish to be treated?  Where is the respect?  What happened to civility?

Retiring congressmen and senators have gone on record to an extent saying that they no longer like the divisiveness in Washington.  Even John McCain's chief of staff (or was it legislative director) told Meghan McCain and Michael Ian Black that if he could do it all again, he would stay as far away from Washington, DC.

But we have reached a point where even the moderate Republicans are too moderate for the Republican Party.  The extreme right wing has hijacked the party and I feel that we will be seeing the creation of a strong third party to take over the center wing of the spectrum.

A third party would woo not only the Independents but centrist Democrats and Republicans.  A new home for them if you will.  Maybe Michael Bloomberg will be their candidate in 2016?  I don't know.  I always thought Bloomberg would have been a presidential candidate by now.  He's one of the few with the balls to stand up to the NRA and trust me, after all the shootings this year, somebody has to do it!  Why not him?!?

I'm a loyal Democrat, don't get me wrong, but there are days when I wonder what would happen if we had a strong third party.

I tweet a lot.  I share links on Facebook a lot.  Sometimes, you just cannot believe the stupidity that happens.  I'm trying my best not to share a gazillion links a day but when I see it shared a few times already, I don't really have a choice but to share it.

No comments: