Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Evening Update

For those bloggers who are linked on my blogroll, since I am at home with dial up and have class from 9:15 - 11:45 and then work til about five after my lunch break, I just don't have the time to read other blogs until I get home and even then, it is very time consuming so if you don't see me commenting there, that's why.

Luckily, I still manage to get the blog updated at least once a day.

While there is a big scandal here in Kentucky dealing with political patronage, there is also one in the Windy City per NPR. Evidently, Mayor Daley has made pledge to rid Chicago's government of patronage. Now, when is that pledge coming here in KY?

Be wary. I sense an expansion of a patriot act which has some things in it that are very un-patriotic. If I wanted someone knowing what books I read, I'd put it online. The only books I read these days deal with Judaism, politics, sports, and Star Wars.
But Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., is worried the new subpoena power will give the FBI "carte blanche" to go on fishing expeditions. Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., wanted to get a better sense of the scope of the problem now.

"We have no way of knowing whether these delays are extraordinarily unlikely or whether they happen all the time," Bayh said. "Best I can tell here today, this is something you are prospectively concerned about."

Democrats also questioned giving the FBI authority to read the outside of a person's mail without a U.S. postal inspector's approval, as is the case now. Caproni said various postal inspectors apply different standards. "They are not a rubber stamp," she said.

"It is odd, to say the least, that the FBI is the agency that is charged with protecting the country from terrorist attacks and from spies, and yet our ability to use this very basic tool of a mail cover is charged to the discretion of another agency," Caproni added.
Last night, Tony LaRussa tied Whitey Herzog with 822 Cardinal wins. He needs at least 2-3 seasons to take first place all-time.

Johnny Damon is catching up to 1,000 runs. David Wells was 6 short of 2,000 strikeouts before today's game. After the game, he was 4 short.

That's about all. For the record, I was in Frankfort today. I was there on business and I was not there for a job recommendation. In light of the scandal, I felt that need to release that information. Did I visit elected officials? Yes. Only one. The others were out of town. The trip was unexpected so there was no camera on me. For some reason, I never have a camera when I visit Frankfort.

No comments: