Saturday, September 17, 2005

Democratic Family Day in Frankfort

I will state first off that the thoughts and prayers of many Kentucky Democrats are with State Auditor Luallen as she undergoes a second bout with cancer. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Now, on to the events today. While a party was going on at the Democratic HQ in Frankfort, the state GOP sent a message to Ernie Fletcher: "You're fired!" Darrell Brock and the state GOP executive committee defied the Governor's orders by keeping Darrell Brock put. Mitch McConnell is the leader of the Republicans, not Governor Fletcher.

Before the Governors arrived, the guest of honor, former Senator Max Cleland (D-GA), arrived. I spoke with him for a few minutes and got a picture. He knows my cousin as they both ran statewide in Georgia in 2002. It's a shame what happened that year.

All the living Democratic Governors except Brereton Jones were on hand today. For a fundraiser, the party was selling a photo with all 6 former Governors. It had to be a top seller. Gov. Paul Patton was the first to arrive so as you can expect, I had to get his autograph. Next to show up was former Governor and current State Senator Julian Carroll. I got a picture and autograph. Of course, I had to make my way over to Senator/Governor Wendell Ford. I thanked him for his many years of service to the Commonwealth. I mentioned the old Ford bumper sticker on a Chevy car that my late uncle mentioned to my father years ago. I caught Congressman Ben Chandler after his speech and was able to get his autograph on an index card. Gov. Patton was kind enough to get a picture of me and current Attorney General Greg Stumbo. I did meet former State Auditor Ed Hatchett and got a picture. Former Governors John Y. Brown, Jr. and Martha Layne Collins were late shows but they signed the photo and posed for pictures. I did greet former Lt. Governor Steve Henry.

The speeches started around 2 with Jerry Lundergan starting. Speaker Jody Richards followed, then there was others like Rep. Chandler, Tresurer Jonathan Miller, Atty. General Stumbo, Gov. Patton, Gov./Sen. Carroll, Gov./Sen. Ford, and Sen. Cleland. I may be missing some names and I apologize.

All in all, it was great fun. While I was not originally a supporter of Greg Stumbo in 2003 as I voted for Ed Hatchett in the primaries. Stumbo has won me over and has my full-pledged support for his re-election. I'll admit as well that while I wasn't a fan of Jerry Lundergan, he, too, has won my support over.

Of course, there was talk of future candidates for office since we have the congressional elections next year. I highly encourage State Rep. Mike Weaver to run in the 2nd District against Rep. Ron Lewis. Ron Lewis signed a term limits pledge and has since broken it. Of course, I'd like to see someone like Paul Patton running against Mitch McConnell. Will it happen? I don't know. We'll see.

The big talk was the closed-door meeting of the State GOP.

The Democrats should hold this event annually! I prefer something of this nature to take place during the summer. It was nice meeting some people I know from online but have yet to meet in person. Also, thanks to those kind enough to serve as a photographer for me.

This was better than Fancy Farm but I wouldn't know since I've never been to Fancy Farm.

No comments: