Sunday, October 01, 2006

Weekend Thread

I thought I'd get everything here that I have yet to cover over the weekend.

Bob Woodward says that Andy Card asked Bush to get Rummy to leave.

Congress approved new sanctions against Iran.

What was Yom Kippur like for those that survived the Shoah.

Some excerpts from Rep. Chandler's email to constituents:
Following the crash, I thought it would be fitting for the U.S. House of Representatives to honor the victims of Flight 5191. Along with the support of the entire Kentucky congressional delegation, I introduced House Resolution 980, which expressed the condolences of Congress to the families, friends and loved ones of the victims of the crash. The resolution also commended those individuals who responded to the tragedy with courage and determination. H. Res. 980 passed the House of Representatives on September 6th.

While it is premature to speculate on any cause of this accident until the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has completed their investigation, I believe it is time to ask what Congress and pertinent federal agencies must do to improve our nation's safety policies as we move forward. I do believe the crash at Lexington has highlighted serious questions regarding air safety in this country, particularly as it relates to air traffic control. On the morning of the Comair crash, there was only one controller in the tower, despite a directive from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) saying that there should be two. The FAA has admitted to violating its own policy.

I am a member of the House Aviation Subcommittee and was able to ask the FAA about controller staffing in a hearing about air safety. I asked if the Lexington tower is properly staffed, and the FAA official at the hearing claims that it is, despite reports to the contrary from controllers at Blue Grass Airport. I also asked the FAA if there had been any disciplinary action taken as a result of the policy violation, but they said they would have to get back to me. Unfortunately, that was the FAA's response to most of my questions.
A liberal writes in defense of Sen. Joseph Lieberman.

Set your Tivo's. Jack Conway will be appearing weekly on Thursdays to debate Jim Milliman.

Jonathan's book was reviewed in the Courier-Journal.

No comments: