Monday, April 16, 2007

Other news...

Now that I got that off my chest, time to blog about other things.

ESPN's SportsCenter just reported that all 110 members of the Virginia Tech football program are alive and that none were harmed.

Here's the recap from Jonathan Miller's meeting with the Optimist Club.
Though he exudes a youthful optimism, Miller also sounds like the character from the 1970s-era movie "Network" - he's mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.

"I am running for governor because I have had enough," Miller told the Covington Optimist Club last week. "I've had enough of the partisanship and polarization.

"I've had enough of the bickering and name-calling. I've had enough of the secret meetings, backroom meetings where major issues are decided," he said.

Raised by politically active parents - Miller's mother was a University of Kentucky political science professor, his father a lawyer active in civil rights - Miller was educated at Harvard, graduating with a law degree.

He worked in the Department of Energy during the Clinton administration, was a Capitol Hill legislative director and practiced law in Washington before returning to Kentucky in 1997.

After being defeated in a Democratic congressional primary in 1998, he was elected to his first of two terms as treasurer in 1999.

As treasurer, Miller used the bully pulpit of the position to promote financial literacy, a college savings plan and a crackdown on predatory mortgage lending.
A former Rupp assistant, Neil Reed, had nothing but good things to say about the new UK coach, Billy Gillispie.

Viewers of The Daily Show are well-informed viewers.

KET will be airing a gubernatorial debate but I won't be watching it.

The University of Kentucky has honored the late Jon Hooker with an emblem on the scoreboard at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
Returning to the same field that Jon Hooker played on just six years ago is hard enough for former UK baseball head coach Keith Madison. But to see the former player's name on the old scoreboard in right field at Cliff Hagan Stadium almost brought him to tears.

"I can't hardly look at it to be honest with you because it makes it real," Madison said. "There are times when I think of Jon that I actually momentarily forget that he's gone. But when I see that up there, it makes it very real."

Madison was one of several friends and family members in attendance for a ceremony to honor Hooker before Saturday evening's UK-Vanderbilt game.

Hooker, who played at UK from 1997 to 2001, was one of the 49 victims who died in the Comair Flight 5191 crash near Blue Grass Airport on Aug. 27. He and his wife, Scarlett Parsley, had married just hours earlier and were headed to California on their honeymoon.

Hooker's mother, grandparents, brother and former coach all took part in the ceremony.

The honorary emblem on the old scoreboard in right field was dedicated to Hooker during the tribute before the game. Fans also joined in a moment of silence, which was then followed by the presentation of a commemorative game ball from current head coach John Cohen.
Gillispie is up really late. The rumors that he doesn't sleep must be true! Willie Warren, a prospective recruit, commented on Gillispie's text messaging.
"That just shows me he's dedicated and when he sees something he wants, he goes after it," Warren said Sunday. "I thought, what is he doing up right now?

"It was 2 a.m. Kentucky time. Once he started texting me, I figured out he wanted me pretty badly."

Gillispie recruited Warren when he was still the head coach at Texas A&M and has made an even stronger attempt to land Warren, a 6-foot-4 guard from North Crowley High School (Fort Worth, Texas) since he was named UK's 21st head coach less than two weeks ago.

"He's wants me to commit now, but my mom wants me to wait," said Warren, who averaged 24.7 points, 4.7 assists and 4.0 rebounds per game as a junior. "He has told me that I can make an impact right away."

Warren, who considers himself a scoring point guard, has already taken unofficial visits to Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Baylor.

No comments: