Wednesday, April 20, 2005

No Jeffords in 2006

Burlington Free Press:
Vermont Sen. Jim Jeffords, an independent who triggered one of the most dramatic upheavals in Senate history when he quit the GOP four years ago, announced Wednesday he would retire at the end of his term next year, citing his and his wife's health.

Jeffords, 70, had been adamant in saying he would seek re-election, but he reversed himself.

"After much thought and consultation with my family and staff, I have decided to close this chapter of my service to Vermont and not seek re-election in 2006," Jeffords said in a news conference at a suburban Burlington hotel.

Jeffords has suffered from a bad back and neck for years and has seemed confused by some of the questions in several recent news interviews.

But it was his wife's health that he highlighted in his remarks.

"Liz, as you know, is battling cancer and will soon have to undergo another round of chemotherapy," he said, but added that he has had his own health concerns.

"There have been questions about my health and that is a factor, as well," he said. "I am feeling the aches and pains when you reach 70. My memory fails me on occasion, but Liz would probably argue this has been going on for the last 50 years."
Uh, this brings me to here. Bernie Sanders will run against Gov. Douglas most likely. However, the question remains: Will Gov. Dean run again?

No comments: