ABC Monday Night Football is moving to ESPN. What drama will they come up with now?
After the coming season, ABC, which reshaped sports broadcasting by turning the NFL into a prime-time ratings draw, will be the only major network not to carry it. "Monday Night Football" has been a pillar of ABC since it began in 1970, when Howard Cosell anchored the show that now stands as the second-longest running prime time network series, trailing CBS's 60 Minutes by two years.Baseball fan gets tickets revoked.Let what Chris House did be a warning!
NBC will start its Sunday broadcasts with a pregame show at 7 p.m. eastern; games will begin at 8:15. The network plans to use a flexible scheduling model that in the last seven weeks, allowing it to shift afternoon games to prime time to ensure more meaningful games are shown on national TV.
The Monday night move to basic cable, which includes an earlier start time of 8:40 p.m., is expected to cost ESPN - which previously broadcast Sunday night games - $1.1 billion a year over eight years, two sources familiar with the deals told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
The resolution announced by the Red Sox does not ban the men from Fenway Park this year and leaves it up to the club to decide whether the season ticket holder, Chris House, will get those tickets reinstated for 2006.
"We selected a course of action that we thought was appropriate and enforceable," club spokesman Glenn Geffner said.
New York Joe Torre was pleased with the decision, as was owner George Steinbrenner.
"We applaud the Red Sox for decisively dealing with this matter," Steinbrenner said in a statement issued through spokesman Howard Rubenstein.
Boston acted after a four-day investigation following the play last Thursday night at Fenway Park in which Sheffield was chasing a ball along the low right-field wall that Jason Varitek hit for a triple.
House reached over the 3-foot high fence, and Sheffield said he was struck in the face. Sheffield picked up the ball, pushed House, then threw the ball to the infield. Sheffield turned toward House but did not make contact with him again as a security guard jumped over the wall and stood between House and Sheffield.
"The only thing I wanted to see is that whatever takes place ... is to try to send a strong message that fans can't throw things or hit people or put their hands on anybody," Sheffield said. "If you're out on the street, I guarantee that same guy doesn't put his hands on me. So why should we be penalized for a situation like that because we're on a baseball field?"
House did not return a message left Monday on his telephone answering machine
The Red Sox said House would receive full reimbursement when he returns his 2005 tickets. It did not release the name of the other spectator.
Major league baseball also is investigating.
"I think it will probably curtail that type of thing from happening at other ballparks," Tampa Bay manager Lou Piniella said. "It'll keep the playing field safer, which is a concern. You hate to see a fan penalized, but what are you going to do?"
The Red Sox cited the season ticket agreement, which states that "interfering with the play of the game in any way will not be tolerated and will be grounds for ejection from the premises, legal prosecution, recission of tickets and cancellation of subscription privileges."
Sheffield's agent, Rufus Williams, and the player planned to meet Tuesday with Bob Watson, vice president in charge of discipline in the commissioner's office. Williams called Boston's actions "a good thing."
"I think that there should certainly be an opportunity for players do their jobs without being interfered with. That sends a message to fans that that's what the expectation is," Williams said. "The whole situation is unfortunate. This is only one aspect of what took place in an unfortunate situation."
When Red Sox right fielder Trot Nixon reached into the stands Monday for a fly ball near the foul pole during Boston's 12-7 win over Toronto, fans didn't interfere. Nixon made the catch, depriving Alex Rios of a home run.
"I didn't have any fan interference at all. They backed away. I commend those fans there," Nixon said. "I gave them a little tip of the cap."
Red Sox chief operating officer Mike Dee said he hoped Monday's decision will be a warning to fans sitting near the field.