Sunday, February 18, 2007

Debate distracts from 2008 campaign

But will it really be any different than the first campaign?
About the runoff, I certainly don't think that it should be repealed for this year. Certainly for the next election but not this election. Al Cross takes a look at who it helps and who it does not help.
It's a problem for current Senators running for president but they have to do their job if they want votes. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next year and a half. All I know is that I don't want the names Obama and Clinton to be shoved down my throat. I like Edwards and all but his campaign has already suffered a strike against him by not properly vetting the bloggers he hired.
There is a strong chance that Senator Evan Bayh could still be the Vice Presidential nominee. I wish it had been the other way around though given the strange turn of events.
"I love being in the Senate, and I'd like to make a difference here," Bayh said. "But you know, if you're president or vice president, I think you have an even greater opportunity to help our country, and that's what I'm all about."

Bayh decided in December not to run for president himself, after concluding the odds of getting the nomination were too slim. If he had stayed in the race, Bayh said he would've had to spend 80 to 90 percent of his time raising funds.

Bayh said a typical day would've been "a fundraising breakfast, getting on the phone to call people who could be potential supporters, a fundraising lunch, back on the phone, fundraising reception or dinner and then because of the three-hour time change to the West Coast, you can still call those folks out there."

Bayh's fundraising network, along with the $11 million he built up in his Senate account in anticipation of a potential presidential bid, increases his appeal as a running mate.

No comments: