Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Trey Grayson won't challenge Conway

Secretary of State Trey Grayson, who is term limited, announced today of what his plans for 2011 will be.
advisors and others, I want to announce, today, that I will not be a candidate for Attorney General -- or any other office -- in 2011. While I am not ruling out a campaign in future years, I am confident that this is the best decision for my family and me.

I appreciate all the encouragement from past supporters as well as complete strangers to run for Attorney General. In the final analysis, at this time, I want to spend more time with Nancy and the girls than an elective office will allow.

This desire was brought home to me a few weeks ago during the annual post-election Republican State Central Committee meeting. It was great to see so many of the candidates who won on Election Day. There were smiles on the faces of everyone in the room, including my own, about the Election Day outcomes. On the inside, however, I was torn, because to attend the meeting, I had to miss my youngest daughter Kate’s first-ever basketball game. As the girls have grown older, these conflicts are becoming more common and more difficult to address.[...]

Some may say that this decision is related to Jack Conway’s announcement that he plans to seek re-election. It is not. I am confident of my ability to wage a successful campaign against Jack next November. I believe that more Kentuckians share my view that the Attorney General can and should play an important role in fighting the unconstitutional and anti-Kentucky actions of the federal government in areas like health care, energy and agricultural policy. I was looking forward to the two of us waging a vigorous but fair campaign, since we both respect each other. So, no, his announcement didn’t deter me from running.

What his announcement did, however, was move up my timetable. I had originally thought that I would discuss the decision in-depth with my family during Thanksgiving break, much as Nancy and I did during November 2002 about my first run for Secretary of State. So this weekend, in addition to working with the girls on dribbling, serving, raking leaves and making brownies, I spent a great deal of time thinking, praying and talking with Nancy. Ultimately, the decision was easy.[...]

Serving as your Secretary of State has been one of the highest honors of my life There can be no more noble cause than serving the Commonwealth and her citizens. I am so thankful that Kentuckians have entrusted me with this opportunity.[...]

The staff here -- merit and non-merit -- are outstanding. I am proud of our record of innovation and accomplishment in elections, business and technology. We have set the standard for Offices of the Secretary of State across the country. When people reflect upon my term in office, my hope is that they will say that we have made the Office better than it has ever been -- by using technology to tear down bureaucratic red tape, modernizing our elections, increasing the civic awareness of our citizens, and ushering in an era of transparency in Kentucky government. Most of all, I hope that they can say that we achieved all of this through the ethical leadership that Kentuckians demand and deserve.

I don’t have any specific plans for the future. Over the past few months, I have had a few meetings with friends and others to brainstorm about what a post-elected official career might entail. When I figure that out, I will let you know. Regardless, I will continue to serve my community, just as my parents raised me.

No comments: