Thursday, December 08, 2005

Playing those Mind Games

I'm posting this at 10:26 AM even though the bottom says 12:00 AM. I want the Lennon post on top all day.

Mark Warner, the outgoing Governor of Virginia, was in South Carolina yesterday.

They are rallying for jobs in Kokomo. Unfortunately, Evan Bayh had a scheduling conflict or he would have been there.

The Reds may try and sign Matt Morris away from the Cardinals.

Steve Carell speaks with the Purdue Exponent.

Walt Jocketty and Cardinals management made decisions yesterday. They traded Ray King to Colorado. Mark Grudzielanek and Reggie Sanders were let go. We picked up Aaron Miles and Larry Bigbie in return. The Cardinals did offer arbitration to Matt Morris. This is great news! I hope he accepts the offer.
It nonetheless appears likely that Morris, who has 101 wins over nine years in a Cardinals uniform, will not pitch for the home team in new Busch Stadium. St. Louis management has resigned itself to being outbid for the man who has played for the Cards more than any other current player.

"All we can do is peg the value that we can afford to pay Matt Morris," said manager Tony La Russa. "It doesn't mean that's what he's worth. Same thing with Mark Grudzielanek, Reggie Sanders, any of those guys. It's what you give them. It's painful because it probably is not good enough."

Morris apparently still holds out hope to return to St. Louis, which drafted him out of Seton Hall University and is the only organization for which he has played. His agent, Barry Axelrod, left the Winter Meetings on Wednesday still hoping for a last competitive offer from the Cards.

"They're getting extra special consideration because Matt has spent his whole career there," Axelrod told MLB.com on Wednesday afternoon. "They said that they want to put an offer together to present to Matt."
I'm updating this post again about 12:30 or 1ish since I now have class.

I'm back now (12:52 PM).

Take a look at some of these quotes about what people were doing the day that we lost John Lennon.
Bruce Springsteen: I was in Philadelphia. I had to play that night. Very, very tough night to play. ... He made some amazing music on his own and was really quite out on the frontier in a lot of things. He had a lot of courage and humor. He was wonderful to have in the world. I'm still angry he's not here.

Bonnie Raitt: I remember being devastated. He was my favorite [Beatle] and it was so senseless and heartbreaking. ... Because I was pubescing at the time ... and I was totally in love with John, I had a wall of pictures of him that covered ... whole wall in my bedroom. And I had a little picture of him taped to the inside of my pillow which I would kiss goodnight every night.

Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day: I remember getting ready for school and hearing about it on the radio. I was 8 years old. I remember at the time the song "Woman" was really popular. I remember loving that song and "(Just Like) Starting Over."

John Mellencamp: I was standing in the underground parking lot in the Chateau Marmont [hotel] in Los Angeles. ... Everybody went out and ate sushi and talked about it.

Neil Diamond: I was in New York, and "The Jazz Singer" [movie] was opening at the Ziegfeld Theater. There was kind of a cloud over that whole thing. ... I was broken up about it. This guy opened up the world for a lot of people, including me.

John Oates of Hall & Oates: I was in my apartment in Greenwich Village ... watching "Monday Night Football." They came on at halftime and made the announcement that he'd been shot ... I'd known him. I'd hung out with him in various places. I knew [the Dakota]. I was like, "Whoa!"

Donovan: I was in a hotel in Rome, doing some promotion. It was very early in the morning, and I was the only one in the basement restaurant and the waiter came up and he said, "John Lennon has been shot."

Kenny Chesney: I was at little league basketball practice. My mom picked me up and she was almost like in tears. I said, "What's the matter?" She said, "John Lennon died." I was really young; I knew the songs but I didn't really know the person.

Slash of Velvet Revolver: I remember that day well. I was at home in L.A. It was a huge ordeal. My mom completely flipped out. I was totally aware of who John Lennon was. I didn't know how to take it. I guess I was 12. It had a very profound effect on my immediate environment.

Les Claypool of Primus: I was at home, watching television, and it just came on the news, one of those things across the bottom of the screen. We had a dance at our high school a couple weeks later and I was director of entertainment so I programmed this montage of Beatles songs that ended with "And in the End." And people were so p----- off; most kids didn't want to hear any song that was over 6 months old.

Lionel Richie: I was on tour. We had just come offstage and someone came to me ... and said, "John Lennon has been shot." I never thought of "shot and wounded." I knew they meant dead. Just like when I heard about Princess Di, you automatically knew it was final.

Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi: I was driving in my car, coming back from band rehearsal, and I had to pull over. I was shocked, in tears. It was a heavy moment. I remember like it was yesterday. It was somewhere around 9:30 at night ... I just got a chill right now thinking about it. I'm a huge Beatles fan; it definitely invaded my brain and my heart.
Salon has a tribute full of quotes from just about everyone that you can think of.

Background on Paul's quote: "It's a drag." I saw video of this but I don't know believe it's on my PC anymore. If it is anywhere, it's burnt on a CD. I really want to watch that video file again especially today.

Another tribute to John. And another.

No comments: