Thursday, April 05, 2007

Nick Calethes considers reopening recruitment...

This is what he said to the Orlando Sentinel and he is a McDonald's High School All-American.
If Billy Donovan leaves Florida to take the Kentucky basketball job -- or any other -- Lake Howell seniors Nick Calathes and Chandler Parsons said they, too, would have to look at their options.

"I'd probably have to reopen my recruitment maybe," Calathes said Wednesday. "I'd have to see who Florida would get as a coach and I'd have to talk to Coach Donovan and my parents. Right now, I really don't think he's going anywhere."

Calathes, who was announced as the Gatorade state Player of the Year on Wednesday, called Donovan to orally commit as a sophomore. Parsons committed last August. Both signed with UF in November.

"It would be shocking if Coach Donovan left," Parsons said. "It would change things for me. I signed to play for the University of Florida, but obviously I'm committed to Coach Donovan."

The NCAA stance is that players sign with institutions, not coaches.

"I signed with the whole university. I love it," Calathes said. "But Coach Donovan is a huge deal. That's the head coach that I wanted to coach me."

Recruits can ask to be released from scholarship commitments, but there can be stipulations. UF has in the past refused to release athletes to transfer to FSU or SEC East schools. If Donovan bolts for Kentucky, UF could refuse to approve transfers to the Wildcats.
Should he transfer without a release from his LOI, he would have to sit out a year. But just think about the possibilities of signing Jai Lucas, Patrick Patterson, and Nick Calethes.

No comments: