Thursday, February 02, 2006

American Pie Day: Remembering Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper

Consider the posting of these lyrics and all the rock history references as my tribute to the late musicians. I'll be listening to Don McLean and Buddy Holly today. Buddy Holly was one of the first musicians to die in his prime and he, along with Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper are missed.

American Pie by Don McLean

My notes are in parentheses.

A long, long time ago (1959)
I remember how the music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
that I could make those people dance
and maybe they'd be happy for awhile
But February made me shiver (The month that Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper died)
with every paper I'd deliver (McLean was a paperboy)
bad news on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step
And I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride (Buddy Holly’s wife)
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

So Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie,
Drove My chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry. (The Chevrolet commercials popularized by Dinah Shore)
Them good ole boys are drinking whiskey and rye,
singing This'll be the day that I die (The lyrics in “That’ll be the Day”)

Did you write the book of love, (Montones hit in 1958: “The Book of Love”)
and do you have faith in G-d above,
Because the Bible tells you so? (1955, Don Cornell sung “The Bible Tells Me So”)
And do you believe in Rock and Roll, (Possibly a reference to the Lovin’ Spoonful)
can music save your mortal soul?
And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
And I know that you're in love with him,
'cause I saw you dancing in the gym,
you both kicked off you shoes (Sock hops)
and I dig those rhythm and blues. (Self-explanatory)
I was a lonely teenaged broncin' buck
with a pink carnation and a pick-up truck (1957: Marty Robbins sung “A White Sport Coat (And a Pink Carnation)”)
but I knew that I was out of luck
the day the music died

I started singing, Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie,
Drove My chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry.
Them good ole boys are drinking whiskey and rye,
singing This'll be the day that I die.

For 10 years we were on our own (1o years after the crash)
and moss grows fat on a rolling stone (Bob Dylan)
but that's not how it used to be
The jester danced for the king and queen (Bob Dylan is the Jester, the King is Elvis)
in a coat he borrowed from James Dean (cover of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan has him wearing similar coat)
and a voice that came from you and me (folk music)
And as the king was looking down (Elvis declined in fame)
the jester stole his thorny crown (Dylan rose in fame)
the court room was adjourned (Chicago 7?)
no verdict was returned
as Lenin read a book on Marx (John Lennon)
the quartet practiced in the park (Beatles)
and we sang dirges in the dark (mourning songs or art rock)
the day the music died

And we were singing, Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie,
Drove My chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry.
Them good ole boys are drinking whiskey and rye,
singing This'll be the day that I die.

Helter skelter in the summer swelter (Beatles)
Birds flew off with the fallout shelter (The Byrds)
8 miles high and falling fast (Eight Miles High was banned for it’s drug refrence)
and it fell on the grass
the players tried for a forward pass
with the Jester on the sidelines in a cast (Bob Dylan was in an accident)
the half-time air was sweet perfume
the sergeants played a marching tune (Beatles)
and we all got up to dance
but we never got the chance
The players tried to take the field
the marching band refused to yield (Beatles)
do you recall what was revealed
the day the music died?

And we were all in one place (Altamont)
a generation lost in space
with no time left to start again
Jack be nimble, Jack be quick (Mick Jagger, “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”)
Jack Flash sat on a candle stick
Cause the fire is the devil's only friend
And as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage
No angel born in hell (Hell’s Angels)
could break that Satan's spell
And as the flames climbed high into the night
to light the sacrificial rite
I saw Satan laughing with delight
The day the music died

I met a girl who sang the blues (Janis Joplin)
and I asked her for some happy news
she just smiled and turned away (Overdose)
I went down to the sacred store (Bill Graham's Fillmore West)
where I heard the music years before
but the Man there said the music wouldn't play
And in the streets the children screamed,
the lovers cried and the poets dreamed
But not a word was spoken
the Church bells all were broken.
And the three men I admire most
the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost (Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper)
they caught the last train for the coast (The plane)
the day the music died.

And we were singing, Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie,
Drove My chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry.
Them good ole boys are drinking whiskey and rye,
singing This'll be the day that I die.

No comments: