Friday, April 15, 2005

Friday roundup

Mississippi State Representative Erik Fleming has denounced all associations with the anti-Semite Lyndon LaRouche.
Even my letter of endorsement was a form of protest to deal with the issue of inclusion within our party. I knew then, as I know now that he can never be elected President. That, however, was the worst mistake of all, but my anger clouded my instincts at the time.[...]

I am not a racist and I am honestly hurt to be deemed one by association. I don't mind discourse over public policy decisions, political philosophy or votes that I have taken, but I do not want to be called or implied a racist, especially since that is not in my heart.

Rep. Erik R. Fleming
Good, I was afraid I would be campaigning against him on blog come 2006 when he is the Democratic U.S. Senate candidate against Senator Trent Lott.

Steve Kline wants back in St. Louis. Will he be traded by the July 31st deadline? I'd like to see him back on the Cardinals myself. He is feeling very miserable in Baltimore playing for the Orioles.
"It's not what I thought it would be," Kline said, declining to address the negative specifics emanating from his brief time in Baltimore. "Sometimes you miss the old places. But you've got to play the hand you're dealt."

Kline, 32, is with the Orioles because they dealt him a $5.5 million hand for two years, far more than the Cardinals cared to invest in the reliever, who was here for four years. "I had to take care of my family," he said.

But he said that among other things, he missed the "leadership" involved in playing for Tony La Russa and the Cardinals - "the way guys went about their business. I miss a lot about the guys in St. Louis. ... St. Louis always got me geared up to play there."

Kline said he would undo his free-agent departure if he could. "I'd like to rub that bottle and have that genie come out," he said, "and grant me a wish that I could go back."[...]

"I'm so used to (Edgar) Renteria and Jimmy (Edmonds) running down my mistakes and picking me up," he said, recalling his Gold Glove teammates with the Cardinals.

Even though one of the home runs was on the road, Kline said he already had begun to hear it from the Baltimore fans. "There's nothing worse than getting booed at home," Kline said. "St. Louis fans are too good for that. They understand the game more than most people."[...]

"A 20-something ERA doesn't look good. I don't think (the Cardinals) would take me back with that," Kline said.

"Maybe if I get it down to 10, it would be a little different.

"It's going to take me a little while to realize what's going on and to put the past behind me. I miss St. Louis. But what can you do?"
Come on Walt, please take him back!

For $470, I can purchase two game-used seats from Busch Stadium. Now, I wonder where I can find that funding. Parents?

No comments: