Friday, April 15, 2005

It's not over...

I've finally figured out that it was "Who killed Tangerine" by Tears of Fears that I had stuck in my head for the past three weeks since the promotion of the opening day game between the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees. If you are unfamilar with the song, the lyrics are:
When you think it's all over, it's not over, it's not over.
When you think it's all over, it's not over, it's not over.
When you think it's all over, it's not over, it's not over...

USA Today reviews some of the late night hosts. To save you time, here's what they said:
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Late grade: Stay up late, and if you can't, tape it

Nightline
Late grade: Stay up late, and if you can't, tape it

Late Show with David Letterman
Late grade: Stay up late, and if you can't, tape it

Late Night with Conan O'Brien
Late grade: Watch if you're up anyway

The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
Late grade: Watch if you're up anyway

Jimmy Kimmel Live
Late grade: Watch if you're up anyway

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
Late grade: Forget it, get some sleep

I personally make it a habit to catch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I catch Conan's monologue and sketches and if I like the guests, I'll watch that. I watch Jay's monologue and then do homework. During the summer, they only let me watch the monologues on Jay and refuse to let me watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at home when it's taped, causing me to catch it when it reruns the next day.

What are they doing in Rhode Island?
URI students can get up to four tickets per ID at $15 each. Tickets for the public are $25 each.

The show features actor/comedian Darrell Hammond and "Saturday Night Live" colleagues Seth Meyers and Kenan Thompson.
It is a sad week for one comedian. Jay Mohr will take the microphone for the last time doing stand-up comedy.
"I retired from stand-up comedy because you lose the passion for it," Mohr says. "I have always told myself that I would never want to do it for the money, but because it was fun."

Although Mohr is stepping off the stage, he is now focusing on his acting career, the part of his career that he enjoys the most. "You get to play make believe. It's like getting to be a child [when you act]," he says. Having roles in films such as Jerry Maguire, Picture Perfect and Pluto Nash, among others, Mohr has established himself in the world of the big screen with some hefty roles.[...]

Whether it's Mohr's roles or his pure talent, he continually adds to his already stellar résumé. "I've done three films this year. I start on new Ed Burns project next week in Manhattan, I just want to do more acting," Mohr says.

Although more on-screen time seems to be the direction of Mohr's career, he has even had experience as a producer and host on his creation of Last Comic Standing. Despite his hate for reality TV, Mohr created a reality outlet for comics. "Reality shows always bug me because they put people there that become famous for no reason. I created a show for people who should be famous."

Despite it's cancellation, Mohr says that audiences had a common misconception of the type of comics that the show was aiming to find. "We weren't looking for amateur talent. We were looking for the funniest people; bad comedy isn't funny, that's why it's bad comedy."

Bad comedy, however, is something that isn't in Mohr's vocabulary. Completely about the audience, Mohr's act varies from stage to stage. "My act is too tailored to categorize, it's tailored to the audience. It's also like point and shoot at this point. There's no routine, my material is always fresh."

Taking the stage for what seems to be the last time on Saturday to benefit the Gilda's Club Charity, an organization that helps children, adults and others to cope with cancer, Mohr seems settled about his decision to retire.

"I was doing shows a few weeks ago in southern California and I was up on stage and I realized I wasn't having fun. I was immediately elated that I was able to have that moment of clarity. So [Saturday] is my last stand-up show," Mohr said.[...]

Looking towards other things, Jay Mohr isn't done yet. Look for him to hit screens in the next year and continue with his fantastic multi-faceted career.
Jay, your stand-up talents will be missed but I wish you the best as you increase your filmography.

Just great, I know have a reason to dislike a great comedian named Lewis Black. The reason: he went to UNC. Yep, you know that rivalry, right? Read up on it.

Doug Flutie needs to be signed to the league minimum contract for the Boston Red Sox. He's gone to four straight games at Fenway Park in which he has, yes, caught a foul ball. Give him the $250,000. Maybe get him as a bench coach.

No comments: