Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Promised Rant

Okay, so the religious conservatives held their anti-filibuster program at the Highview Baptist Church on Sunday. I did not join in the counter-rally due to Yom Tov restrictions that prevent travel unless it is to the Seder.

I have nothing against the filibuster and I hope it is around for years to come. I read the Constitution many times in my life. There is a seperation of religion and state. My religion makes me who I am but I don't force my beliefs on others. However, I avoid religious debates in school, etc. at all costs.

They chose the worst weekend to hold their political rally. It was Thunder weekend and Pesach. They deliberately did this so they couldn't have any Jews in attendence or any people my age. As a Jew, I go to a synagogue and hardly ever walk in to a church--the only times I do are for a wedding of one of my dad's co-workers.

There were two counter-rallies in Louisville, one downtown and the other at a church with a name that I know I will butcher so I won't type it. Jonathan Miller spoke at one of them. I just saw him a week ago.

Back to my point, as someone who is knowledgeable of the tax code, this is a violation of the IRScode:
To be tax-exempt as an organization described in IRC Section 501(c)(3) of the Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for one or more of the purposes set forth in IRC Section 501(c)(3) and none of the earnings of the organization may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate at all in campaign activity for or against political candidates.
Also, these are the Senators under attack:
AK - Murkowski (R)
AZ- McCain (R)
AR - Lincoln & Pryor (Both D's)
CT- Lieberman (D)
FL - Nelson (D)
IN- Lugar (R) & Bayh (D)
LA- Landrieu (D)
ME-Collins & Snow (Both R's)
NE-Hagel (R) & Nelson (D)
NV-Reid (D)
NH-Sununu (D)
ND-Dorgan & Conrad (Both D's)
OH-DeWine (R)
OR-Smith (R)
RI-Chafee (R)
VA-Warner (R)

This event was promoted as saying Democrats are un-Christian. Well, I'm Jewish so of course my religious beliefs differ! I add those numbers as nine (9) Republican Senators and eleven (11) Democrats. Pretty fair and balanced, one would assume. But to get rid of the filibuster is wrong. We need the filibuster.

There is a reason why these ten judicial nominees are being filibustered. These are ten judges out of 200 nominees. That's only five percent. They are extreme in their views. I don't want someone using the Bible for interpreting Constitutional law. As to Jewish law or any Biblical law, I would ask a Rabbi.

Some Jewish Laws on Love and Brotherhood:
Not to wrong any one in speech (Lev. 25:17)
Not to cherish hatred in one's heart (Lev. 19:17)
Not to take revenge (Lev. 19:18)
Not to bear a grudge (Lev. 19:18)
Not to put any Jew to shame (Lev. 19:17)

By the way, if anyone cares, cooking, baking, transferring fire and carrying are permitted on Yom Tov.

No comments: