Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Long Day just gets Longer...

This long day that started at 8:15 will not be over til about 2 in the morning thanks to the Olympics. Light posting today was due to the fact that I had to go to work after the groundbreaking of the new student union building and then the usual night class.

Stephen Stills has a new recording contract. The press release may have some wrong dates though if you ask me...

I need to check my calendar because Second City's Touring Company is headed to Covington on March 24th for the opening of renovated theater at the Carnegie Visual and Performing Arts Center. I don't work that day but it will probably mess around with my schedule due to the NCAA tournament.

Next Friday, TourCo will be at UK to perform at Memorial Hall.

Something is seriously wrong when Paul McCartney loses to reality television stars and then they admit that something is wrong when they beat Paul McCartney. Just ask Kelly Clarkson. I have nothing against her and I admit that I listen to her singles but I was for Paul McCartney to win some Grammy's.
She tells MTV.com, "It's almost stupid, really. I mean, (beating) an ex-Beatle, something is wrong."

"It was some pretty stiff competition, which is why I didn't think I had a chance."

"And I didn't want to build myself up only to be let down."
Could we get some funding to make higher education actually affordable? And to all those members of the Kentucky General Assembly: stop giving NKU the shaft.

A must read interview of Roger McGuinn, formerly of The Byrds.
Many people claim that you first discovered the 12-string guitar after seeing George Harrison play his Rickenbacker?

Roger McGuinn: The first 12-string guitar I bought was probably around 1957. I was influenced by Leadbelly, Pete Seeger, Bob Gibson and a lot of the folk singers. In the late 50s, I was in Chicago and went to the Old Town School of Folk Music. That's where I learned about Leadbelly. Leadbelly’s guitar is in the Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame.

I went to the south side of Chicago and got what I thought was a Stella, but it had a spruce top. It was a nice sounding guitar. I got a 12-string very early on and it wasn’t my main instrument, but something that was certainly part of my repertoire.

On your Limited Edition CD, you pay tribute to George. Was he a friend?

RM: Yes, we were friends. He was very reserved. A really sweet guy, he loved his music, loved his family. Not much to say. We went to his house in Hyde Park and he was kind enough to show us around. He let me play his Rickenbacker that he played on A Hard Day’s Night. Showed us around his studio and we all went out to dinner. Early on the Byrds went to see A Hard Day’s Night, a kind of reconnaissance trip. And we took notes on what the Beatles were playing and bought instruments like they had. We got a Gretsch Country Gentleman and the Rick.
What song does he pay tribute with? What about a Byrds reunion?
Do you foresee a Byrds reunion concert?

RM: I don’t think so. I’d like to leave it as a good memory. It’s hard to reheat a soufflĂ© as Paul (McCartney) said one time. We really couldn’t live up to it. It would be a sentimental thing, people would go, "Nice to see them together!", but would it be better? I don’t know.

No comments: