Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Barry Bonds

How soon before Barry Bonds rips into the blogosphere? This guy should retire while he still can! It's obvious enough that the media is no friend to Barry Bonds. Let's see what the good people at FOX Sports reported:
"You guys are like re-running stories," Bonds said to the huge group of reporters in attendance. "This is old stuff. It's like watching 'Sanford and Son.'...It's almost comical, basically."

The San Francisco Giants slugger, who has 703 homers, also is on the verge of catching Babe Ruth, who is second on baseball's career list with 714. Aaron is first with 755.

"The sad part, I just want to go out there and play baseball," Bonds said. "I don't even care about the record part so much. The best is whatever you get out of yourself. That's all I'm trying to do."

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Bonds testified to the grand jury in December 2003 that he used a clear substance and a cream given to him by a trainer who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but said he didn't know if they were steroids. Prosecutors believe the substances were two steroids at the center of the BALCO scandal.

Bonds repeatedly refused to speak directly about it, but he castigated everyone from the media to Jose Canseco, whose recently released book described a rampant culture of steroid abuse in baseball.

"I don't know Canseco, besides hello and goodbye. I don't put any weight into what he says," Bonds said. "Mark McGwire was a big boy in college. To me, Canseco, you've got to come with a whole lot more...It's to make a buck, that's all it is.

"I don't know Jose. I was better than Jose then, and I've been better than him his whole career. If he wants to go make money, go ahead. ... For somebody who brags about what he did, I don't see any of your records."
Barry, perhaps if you were straight-forward, you wouldn't have had to answer these questions. You should have originally told the media what happened and don't blame it on "herbal medicine." We heard that the first time and didn't buy it. Give me a break!

No comments: