Thursday, February 07, 2008

Breaking news: Mitt Romney suspending campaign

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is suspending his presidential campaign. He did prepare a statement before speaking to the Conservative Political Action Committee during its conference this afternoon.
"I must now stand aside, for our party and our country," Romney said in remarks prepared for his appearance and released by his campaign.

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win," the statement says. "And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."

"This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our supporters... many of you right here in this room... have given a great deal to get me where I have a shot at becoming President. If this were only about me, I would go on. But I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America."
In other news...Daniel London is no longer running for Congress...thus confirming what we knew all along, Ron Lewis is Mitch McConnell's sock puppet.
Congressman Lewis’ decision not to run for re-election came very quickly and our decision to run came just as fast. I am quite confident we would have been successful. However, after considering all that was ahead of me and my family, we determined this wasn’t the right time for us.

I am truly honored for the overwhelming encouragement I received early in this effort from supporters across the district. I am grateful for their support and their belief in my candidacy and vision for central Kentucky.

Sen. Brett Guthrie is a good man and as a Republican I intend to get behind him and support him for election and will encourage all my supporters to do the same.

I want to again thank Congressman Lewis for his great service to our country and the district and for his support and friendship.”

No comments: