Thursday, October 20, 2005

Goodbye, Larry Walker

Larry, I want to openly thank you for your accomplishments in the major leagues, most recently with the St. Louis Cardinals.

Career statistics: .313 career average, a .965 OBS, 383 HR, 1,311 RBIs and 2,160 hits in 1,988 games played.

What some Cardinals have said about Larry's 17 years in the majors:
First baseman Albert Pujols: "It's 17 years he played? I'm just glad to be a part of these last two years with him."

Center fielder Jim Edmonds: "The best thing I can say is, 'Congratulations on a great career and on retirement,' actually. Any time you can play as long as he did and have a career that he did, you should be congratulated. I think it's pretty special.

"I told him [when] he was getting a little sad, I said, 'I think you should be smiling right now. You've had an unbelievable career and you've got lots of money and now you get to go home and enjoy your family.' I think that's what's special."

Left fielder Reggie Sanders: "He was dealing with a lot, physically and mentally. But he's a true professional. He's going to go out there and give what he has. For us, as players in this clubhouse, we support each other. We do what we need to do to have each other's back. And we're just really proud of what Larry's done for us."

Shortstop David Eckstein: "You wish you could write a better script for him. He deserves a World Series ring, just by the way he plays."

From the Kentucky Democrat, thanks for the memories.

No comments: