Thursday, October 20, 2005

The World Series

The World Series will begin Saturday night. While both teams beat the teams I was rooting for, I'll be rooting for the Chicago White Sox. Here's why. Roger Clemens replaced Barry Zito in the 2003 All-Star team ONLY because he had announced he was retiring at the end of the season. Then, he broke his word when Andy Pettite signed with Houston. Granted, Clemens, Biggio, and Bagwell are all hall-bound, the White Sox deserve to reverse the curse of the Black Sox.
Zito said he found out about the switch while sitting with his All-Star teammates in a hotel ballroom, giving interviews. The commissioner's office said the decision was made by the Athletics, who said they told the left-hander on Sunday.

"If I had some black-and-white explanation, it would make more sense,'' he said.

Clemens, who had returned to Houston on Sunday night from the New York Yankees' series in Toronto, was told of his ninth All-Star selection on Monday morning. The only six-time Cy Young Award winner then made plans to jet to Chicago on Tuesday in time for the game.

Clemens intends to retire after this season, his 20th in the major leagues, and got his 300th win and 4,000th strikeout against St. Louis on June 13. Many of his New York Yankees' teammates were mystified when he originally was bypassed last week.
I used to be a Clemens fan, and then he broke his word. That's when I rooted for the Yankees. After that, I switched to the Red Sox--just in time for a miracle-making year...but I have ALWAYS rooted for my St. Louis Cardinals.

No comments: