Sunday, October 23, 2005

Meeting Joe Biden

I should disclaim right now that I am very involved with Americans for Bayh but I would not be opposed to Senator Joe Biden being on the ticket. If you have been stuck in a cave, Senator Biden joined Kentucky Democrats in Northern Kentucky this evening on his own expense.

From how many people I could see in attendence, I'd say that the party raised a lot of money. I have to applaud the party leadership on the event. I've said time and time again, I'm not Jerry Lundergan's biggest fan but I've warmed up to the idea of him as chairman. I know that he, like Bill Ryan, are members of the good ol' boy network and all. But tonight was great and I like how they are holding these fundraisers across the state for the party. Not just that but they are holding the state central commmittee meetings across the state instead of just at headquarters in Frankfort.

Heather French Henry was the MC. Entertainment during the dinner was brought on by the UK Paws and Listen (Believe me, there is at least one Republican in that group). If you saw what they did to Sen. Biden at first, you would have wished that The Daily Show had someone there in attendence because it was that hilarious! Chairman Lundergan then proceeded to give his fiery remarks as usual. Even with a microphone, he's a yeller. He had a great speech, of course, I forgot everything he said other than he told Sen. Worley to stay with his family if he needed too. He recognized the leaders in attendence: Wendell Ford, Julian Carroll, Jonathan Miller, Greg Stumbo, Jody Richards, Rocky Adkins, etc. in no particular order.

Gov./Sen. Wendell Ford took over to introduce Sen. Biden. Ford wasn't going to give a speech since he lost it but, well, Jerry Lundergan found it. I don't know if that was a joke or not but, oh well. Ford mentioned that there's a microphone so he didn't have to yell. It seemed like Ford all but endorsed Joe Biden for President in 2008.

Sen. Biden was a dynamic speaker. He seems to be flawless until you remember an action from the 1988 campaign that I'm not going to get into tonight since I don't want to look like I'm bashing other Democrats. Biden's speech was very long. I hated to be rude but I got up before he finished and came back to my seat since nature called. Back to Biden, he gave a great speech. He hit all the topics.

Afterwards, he met with the Young Democrats and volunteers. Unfortunately for him, his flight left without him so he spoke longer, signed autographs, and took pictures with local Democrats. I spoke with both him and Sen. Ford about my running for higher office someday--I networked a lot today. Ford said to make sure you have an education and know how to speak what you have to say. Biden said not to be ambitious and make sure that if you don't have a reason not to run, then don't. Something like that.

If I left off anyone, I apologize. I did hear about two potential announcements that will be made soon. Unfortunately, for now, I can't blog about it. Fortunately, the announcements should be made soon--you'll hear from me about that soon enough. I have a lot of duplicates to mail out soon...I was able to hand deliver some tonight.

Have a good night. I've been up since 7, and I think I need my sleep.

Related posts on other blogs:
All That's Left, by Alex Huffman, has a post about tonight.
Democratic State

No comments: