Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Tikkun Olam

"You are not required to complete the work, yet you are not allowed to desist from it."
- Pirkei Avot, 2:21

Tikkun Olam can explain why many of us Jews are in politics. Social action is a fold of BBYO. The Torah calls for social justice. We need social betterment in our society. I once got into an argument with a friend from BBYO as to which was why BBYO leads alumni to politics: leadership or social action. Jonathan Miller says it is the biblical mandate to make the world a better place.

While I may be a fiscal conservative, I am a social liberal. One could call me a libertarian but I am a Democrat. I believe in healthcare for all. I believe in a fully funded education plan and not one where you leave almost everyone behind. I believe that every one deserves the same equal protection under the law.

Everyone deserves the same healthcare that our Senators and Congressmen have. John Kerry used Blue Cross Blue Shield. We should have cheaper prescription drugs and should allow for the re-importation of prescription drugs from Canada.

No child left behind leaves every child behind. This unelected President proposed this legislation that he refused to fund. He'd rather fund his war on Iraq, that over half the country was against.

You can't get rid of someone's rights because of who they are. My best friend is gay. It took me a long time to accept the fact that he is, but he is. I have said many times before, I am against gay marriage. However, I would support civil unions. I support civil unions because the idea of that is not religious but civil unions take place in court. When it all comes down to it, the right-wingers are afraid of two people of the same sex kissing. I guess none of them ever visit the pictures at www.collegehumor.com (caution to those that don't like looking at pictures of nude females or two females kissing). If the GOP supports moral values, then why do their supporters submit their pictures of themselves nude. I don't get that at all.

Thank you for your time and G-d Bless America. I welcome your comments at this time.

No comments: