Wednesday, November 24, 2004

What You Missed During the Campaign

A slow political day so I think I'll share some news that I was too busy to place some news that happened while I was busy during the campaign.

I'll start with the day of the 1st Presidential Debate, ironically, it was the same day I met State Treasurer Jonathan Miller.

September 30, 2004
I met Jonathan Miller finally and he is such a nice guy. I even took a picture with him as well. He will be a future Governor or Senator. He actually did run for Congress in 1998. He did like my speech, too. I mentioned my father is a CPA if he needs a treasurer in his next campaign. He is off to bigger and better things.

I'm now known as the guy that gets places even though I have no car. I got a ride to the Debate Party as well as to HQ for tomorrow.

That debate was excellent. We clearly whooped George W. Bush.

The following occured on the day of the 2004 VP Debate.

October 5, 2004
Today ranks up there in my top ten.

I got out of my newswriting class 15 minutes early, which was good so I headed over to the Welcome Center to meet the Senators. Senator McGovern arrived around ten after. I got my autograph first and then got a picture with him (I may have gotten it later though with Sen. Dole). I mentioned how he was indirectly responsible for me entering politics (He hired Clinton who chose Gore who chose Joe who inspired me). Hilary chaired the Women for Goldwater around that time, I believe. I told him I planned to run for the Presidency someday.

Sen. Bob Dole came about five minutes later and I got his autograph on the same printout. He requested that I be in the middle between him and McGovern when we had the student photos. I had a single photo with them.

I went back to my room to put my backpack away as well as the printout that I had signed. I almost forgot my tickets and had to go back to my room to get them. I proceeded back to the opposite side of campus to the auditorium in the business building and walked right on in to the front row. I was sitting on the moderator's right side. I should have sat on his left but I was right in front of Sen. Dole.

I asked what factors one should decide when if they plan to run for president someday. Dole started, "I'd start with something else first." I was impressed by the Q & A session.

It's ironic to note this: Dole's parents were Democrats and McGovern's were Republicans.

I waited around until the meet and greet finished and walked over with everyone else to the photo ops for the sponsors. I'm a CD so we had a picture with the two. The reception started early and I felt like I was at a highprofile fundraiser. Talked with Jeff Groob some. His wife, Kathy, is running for the State Senate. She was out going door to door tonight.

I walked over to to the location for the lecture/debate with fellow College Democrats. Our president was shadowing McGovern so he stayed back. Since we were sponsors, we had nice seats. Some wanted pictures with Dole, but he had to leave as his flight left at 9 PM. While mentioning about the debate watch to some of the Dems, I was asked by the paper some questions about what I thought of the lecture.

Sen. McGovern came back to sign some more books and joined us in watching the VP Debate at the student center. Some GOP members came in and I found them to be rude. A lady from a local Jewish institution was there and said that Sen. McGovern would be there in April. I told her that I was interested in attending.

I thought Sen. Edwards did extremely well tonight. I said so on a local TV station(I need to get a copy of that tape). I'll ask one of the college dems here and then give it to my uncle during Fall Break). He stayed on target and attacked Cheney's comments on everything. I was impressed by his reponse on the Israeli conflict. I remember that bombing all too well.

I was impressed with Sen. McGovern and look forward to meeting him sometime soon.


Nothing exciting happened on the day of the 2nd and 3rd presidential debates up here. I was at a Clooney/Davis debate and the College GOP booed the heck out of Nick during the closing statements.

No comments: