Thursday, February 10, 2005

Did Condoleezza Rice lie?

Did Condoleezza Rice lie during her testimony to the 9/11 Commission on April 8, 2004? Read the PDF to find out that she did know about such activities when she said she did not.

An op-ed by then-National Security Advisor Condoleezza "Condi" Rice states that:
No al Qaeda plan was turned over to the new administration.
Can somebody say that she lied under oath to a commission formed to investigate what the administration knows?

That reminds me of what Senator Bayh expressed on the Senate floor during her confirmation:
I believe she has been a principal architect of policy errors that have tragically undermined our prospects for success in this endeavor.

Those in charge must be held accountable for mistakes. We must learn from them, correct them, so we may succeed in Iraq. If the President of the United States will not do this, then those in the Senate must.[...]

We have a moral obligation to provide better leadership than that which has been provided in this conflict. Too often this administration has suggested that the refusal to admit error, to learn from error, to correct error is a virtue. When lives and limbs are at stake, it is not.

As a former executive of our own State, I have always believed that accountability for performance is vitally important to success. If this President will not provide it, then it is up to those of us in the Senate to do so.

I believe with all of my heart that our country is strongest when we stand for freedom and democracy. We are attempting to accomplish the right thing in Iraq. We have been the authors of much of our own misery. As a result of that, I cannot find it in my heart or in my mind to vote for the promotion of Dr. Rice. Accountability is important. I will vote no and urge my colleagues to do the same.

No comments: