Monday, September 19, 2005

Statement from Julian Lennon on the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's death

Julian sent the following to his mailing list on the subject of the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's death. Thought I'd share this with you:
As the anniversary of Dad’s death approaches, I have, inevitably, started receiving many requests for interviews. I am not going to give any interviews on the subject; I genuinely feel that I have talked about Dad enough. But I do appreciate the enormous interest people have in my father and his legacy and so, in lieu of interviews, I am going to say just this:

"Dad was a great talent whose music and ideals are an inspiration to millions. Yet I have always had very mixed feelings about Dad. He was the father I loved who let me down in so many ways. Who knows how our relationship might have developed if he had not been murdered...it’s painful to think that his early death robbed me of the chance for us to know each other better. What can never be taken away are his words and music, that’s his legacy for me. It’s in my blood for a start. Like Dad I became a musician too, and as with many other artistes in this world his words and music continue to influence me today and probably forever more."

Also, I can direct you to two projects to which I have made a contribution. First, Mum’s book. As you probably know by now, Mum has written a biography about Dad and her time with him and I have provided the Foreword. I am immensely proud of her achievement – it’s an honest and truthful account of the ten years they shared together – half his adult life! I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know the truth, the real truth about Dad and his life with Mum. The book is called ‘John’ and is published on 26 September 2005.

And the second is a TV profile of Dad which will transmit on BBC Television in October. I very, very rarely take part in shows like this but I was impressed with the integrity of the company who are making it for the BBC and their commitment to making it a balanced and thoughtful programme.

I expect there will be lots of other programmes and profiles commemorating and celebrating Dad on and around 8 December...for Mum and me that day will be one of private remembrance.

Julian
I will have a statement of my own and probably a picture up on that day. It's very sad right now to think of what could have been had a crazed fanatic not robbed him of his life.

No comments: