Thursday, January 20, 2005

Daily Show with Lieberman

Senator Joseph Lieberman appeared on the Daily Show tonight. There are videos circulating throughout the internet. In the meantime, here is a summary of what went down today.

Freedom 27, Liberty 15. George, that was overdone.

"Liberty has been hurt since the Patriot Act...Liberty was no match for freedim, who will take on justice in the cliche bowl."
--Jon Stewart, The Daily Show, January 20, 2005

Now for the transcript of the interview:
Jon Stewart: Welcome back to the program. Joing us now via satelite from Washington, DC, is a Democratic Senator from Connecticutt. Please welcome back to the show, Senator Joe Lieberman. How are you, sir?
Joseph Lieberman: Thank you, Jon, I'm great. I wish I was with you. Happy Inaugural Day!
Stewart: Happy Inaugural Day, Senator. I have to ask you--Are you really in Washington or are you just sitting in front of a picture of the capitol?
Lieberman: Uh, I'm at an undisclosed location. Just sitting in front of a picture of the capitol. It's the truth.
Stewart: Is this, uh, are you going out to the inagural celebrations? Or is this a day of hog and das and Sex in the City DVD's for the Democrats?
Lieberman: Exactly. Did you have a small camera following me around all day, Jon? And now, if this is , you know, if there's anything good about not getting elected, instead of putting on a monkey suit with a tight collar, I get to spend some time with you.
Stewart: Ahh..
Lieberman: Tonight, I am going with my wife, we're going to a Democratic party. We're gonna try and be happy. Hopeful, you know.
Stewart: Drink the Kool-aid when you get there.
Lieberman: Yea, right.
Stewart: Let me ask you this, Senator, did you see the inaugural speech?
Lieberman: Yeah, I was right there on the platform!
Stewart: Were you really?
Lieberman: Yeah.
Stewart: How did you get on the platform?
Lieberman: I'm a Senator! I was...
Stewart: They wouldn't let me get in the DC area!
Lieberman: Yeah, that was--But they had reason.
Stewart: Settle down!
Lieberman: I was sitting next to John McCain, and--
Stewart: Underneath? Was he moderating at all during any of it?
Lieberman: Funny you ask because when the President took the oath, John and I were lip-synching. (Laughs) You know--so both of us had actually also been sworn in as president and are prepared to take office whenever necessary.
Stewart: Let me ask you a question. Are you, you actually seem to get along with the Republican party in a way that many of the Democrats aren't able to. What's the secret? Is it some shared sense of a bedrock community--that sort of thing--the values thing?
Lieberman: It's high tolerance for pain. No, seriously, look, I, uh--No forget it--obviously I disagree with the Republicans on lots of things but in the end we're all Americans and so when the fights are over, you go on. When you agree with them, you might as well work with them and try and get something done for the country. That's the way I feel about it and that's the way I get on with it.
Stewart: So what can you throw out to us know with the start of the second term? What's gonna happen? What do you think the Democrats are going to do? What's their agenda? We know alot about privatizing social security and invading everyone from Syria to Lichtenstein.
Lieberman: Yeah?
Stewart: What's the program for you guys?
Lieberman: First, where did you get the plan for invading Lichenstein? I thought that was being held classified. Social Security protection - don't fool around with it. It's probably the best thing the government has done in 100 years, getting senior citizens out of poverty -
Stewart: You're not just saying that 'cuz you're getting older?
Lieberman: (laughs) Yes that's one reason I'm saying it, but if we want to add some extra savings opportunities for baby boomers and those younger, let's fugure out another way to do it without messing around with Social Security so that's one thing I think Democrats are going to do.
Stewart: That's gonna be the stance.
Lieberman: Right. Secondly, Brother McCain and I are going to work very hard to get the Congress and the President to do something about global warming, and here, I do disagree with a bunch of my Republican friends except for some like McCain, who see the danger coming, and third, I think we're going to do something to get the government gets slightly back into balance. It used to be that the Republicans were the party of fiscal responsibility, but L-rd knows that this President, this term has put us so far intodeficit that people that watch this show and a few older people like me are going to be paying too much money in taxes and that's not right.

No comments: