Tuesday, January 25, 2005

What Television Needs

Since the passing of Tonight Show host Johnny Carson, I have done much reflection on the direction of the television networks. The direction the networks are heading in is wrong. We don't need any reality television programming. The only reality programming on television that we need are sports and the news. None of this "Look what song I can sing badly" or "Watch me do stand-up and bomb" or "I know I'm not the same religion but I'm living here whether you like it or not" helps the networks. Ratings are what they want. Well, guess what, the networks truly do not care about the customers. Good Morning, Miami was one of my favorite shows. Mark Feuerstein and Ashley Williams starred in it. It sort of reminds you of of WKRP in Cincinnati with how a big name comes into town to help ratings. Look at the trivia for Good Morning, Miami:
The character of Jake Silver (a hotshot who comes to a dying morning show to re-vamp it) is based on the real-life NBC producer Jeff Zucker who re-vitalized "The Today Show".

The "Good Morning, Miami" morning news-show format itself was inspired by Max and David Kohan's personal experience producing a morning talk-show called "Mike & Matty".

After 9 episodes were aired in the 2nd season this show was canceled and didn't get to finish airing the rest of the 18 episodes that were ordered for the 2nd season.
Why did NBC cancel it? It was one of my favorite shows to watch. It wasn't a bad show but it certainly was a good show.

Another show to watch this season and hope it doesn't suffer from the same wrath is Committed starring Josh Cooke and Jennifer Finnigan. Finnigan played the character of Devan Maguire on Crossing Jordan.

I was not a fan of Last Comic Standing and that show had to go. Sorry, Tina, if you disagree! That show is not the show for comedians to make it big. I want to make it big and I'm going to do it the right way, performing in clubs and then getting the guest spots on the late night comedy shows. I'm off to a perfect start as a sidekick on a late night comedy show at NKU which will be picked up locally and not just in the dorms (as soon as the deal is finalized)!

I have connections to actors, comedians, and politicians. I've gotten replies from all with regards to advice for either field. The older comedians show generosity to the aspiring comics and Johnny Carson showed that. He started careers. I've just got to hone my craft. I've got some great ideas too. Get my own sitcom or sketch comedy show. I might even bring back the weekly variety hour that is missing from the networks.

No comments: