Wednesday, January 19, 2005

A call for unity

After reading this attack by a Democrat to another Democrat for sponsoring legislation in favor of responsible fatherhood and healthy marriages and Rep. Peter Sullivan's blog about the party returning to the day's of the smoke-filled room, I decided to make a call for unity.

Representative Sullivan writes:
It is time for NH Democrats to become a party of reform, a party that is open to new faces, new ideas and new approaches to politics. Ours must be a party that embraces Deaniacs and DLCers, Teamsters and software developers. Not everyone will agree on every issue, and believe it or not, that's a good thing. Let's have a spirited debate on the issues.

The days of backroom bullying have passed. I challenge my colleagues in the Democratic Party to wake up to this reality and change their ways.
Not just for New Hampshire but across America. Democrats need to unite. We need to come together. We need not have closed-door meetings when we say they are open meetings.

When the story broke about Zephyr Teachout and Joe Trippi, I commented the following over at the Daily Kos:
Too much name calling has occured in the past two months.

We should look forward, not look back.

We should reorganize, not continually name call.

We should be proud of our values in our blue or red state.

We should unify our country.

We need to articulate our core message better in the next rounds.
The religious left needs to get active.

Run a 50 state campaign.

Go high-tech and start fundraising. It's going to be a bottom-top campaign and not top-bottom.

I hear all this talk about Gov. Howard Dean would have won had he been the nominee. There's a huge movement to get him elected as DNC Chairman. They say he was electable but he didn't do a good job at getting people out to vote as experienced here when I say I am in the DLC and they still bother to flame me:
If Dean was electable, why did the voters not want him? He had his chance in 2004. The voters rejected him. Kerry's campaign ran a better ground operation in the primaries but they didn't run an all-50 state general election. Kerry didn't connect with the voters.

Instead of feuding, Let's find out what the party has a WHOLE is doing wrong and fix it. We need to bring back blue dems in red states that havent voted Dem since 1996. Simon is the answer. He answers calls from both Dean and Lieberman. He might be the only guy that does.

We have a mess here in the south. There are some democrats that do not want to be labeled as liberal. Read my blog entries over the past few days, you will see how pissed off i am at the state party.

I dont like being flamed when i say i am in the DLC. Evan Bayh is doing some good. He's trying to bring our troops home but no one can do it at the flash of a wand. I call on all Democrats to call offices of Democratic senators and tell them to oppose Al Gonzales and Condi Rice.

I did not get active until I was 15 in 2000 and I've worked my but off, unsuccessfully, at getting Democrats elected.
That said, I have class all afternoon and will not be watching the inauguration. I would like to not spend money tomorrow but I am on meal plan and have to eat somehow.

No comments: