Saturday, January 29, 2005

Not a Good Shabbas today

This is a lengthy post so please bare with me. A lot when down since yesterday that needs to be covered here.

What I had hoped would be a good Shabbas and one where I would not be on the computer turned into one where I had to take some precautions dealing with my computer. I hate to delete posts and comments from others but I had no choice but to do so or risk something bad. I believe in the freedom of religion, of speech, of the press, and of assembly. But I get awfully pissed off when I have to violate constitutional rights of others (and vice-versa). I certainly don't like violating other people's rights by censoring what they said. Deals went down and I'm taking the words of my sources for granted. I most certainly don't want a state party that is making deals in the backroom or giving patronage to their supporters. I want a party that embraces the netroots and grassroots. The Kentucky Democratic Party, as I said before, does not have a blog and I don't think that they have the technology to wage modern campaigns.

What's up with President Bush's new Education Secretary Margaret Spellings? Is she going against the gay and lesbian community like there is no tomorrow? Really, who is it for our govermment to decide what programs should be on television. Sure, I support Senator Joe Lieberman for getting violence off television but this goes way too far!! Dobson's going after a sponge that lives in a pineapple under the sea?!? Are they serious?!? Give me a break! Will they go after the O.C. and Mischa Barton for her character developing a lesbian relationship?

From the Americans for Democratic Action:
She started her job this Monday and won't even be sworn in until next week and already she's prompted two outrages from us. Who would have thought that Rod Paige who dubbed the NEA a terrorist organization would begin to look rational?[...]

According to Boston public TV station's vice president of children's programming, people from Ready-to-Learn were looking for a series that would, "help children understand and respect differences and learn to live in a multi-cultural society." Apparently, not that diverse![...]

Her assessment is as illogical as it is homophobic. If the Education Department truly wants to promote the importance of tolerance in a multi-cultural society, isn't Ms. Spellings teaching precisely the opposite values to the nation's youth (not to mention adults)?

Ms. Spellings needs to be told that bigotry in any form is intolerable and her objections to portraying families with two mommies is simply that - blatant bigotry.
This administration does not want diversity and it is looking clear that the gays and lesbians in society are, sadly, no longer welcome in the United States of America. Get the government out of the bedroom!

Omaha Reader's reaction to the death of Johnny Carson. How could someone my age not know who Johnny Carson is?

Reaction to our helicopters being made overseas:
Sen. Charles Schumer, a New York Democrat, praised the decision in a written statement, saying Lockheed's victory would bring hundreds of new jobs to its Owego, New York plant.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, a Connecticut Democrat, said the determination was "outrageously wrong," and he would raise questions about the fairness of the decision-making process.

"I am committed to do everything in my power to right this wrong," Lieberman said in a statement.

Another Connecticut lawmaker, Rep. Rosa DeLauro, vowed to introduce legislation requiring the new helicopters be made entirely in the United States.

"We're sending our jobs overseas. We're sending dollars overseas, and we are sending our research and our technology overseas," DeLauro, a Democrat, said of the decision.
Virginaia legislative members must hate Governor Mark Warner. They won't even let him run or anyone else run for re-election. It's been 13 years since the first proposal and no one wants the governor to serve two terms.

Is Senator Russ Feingold running for President? Frankly, he's a better candidate for VP due to his lack of executive experience. Who was the last non-Governor or non-Vice President to win as a Democrat and when?
U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., told the Tiger Bay Club of Volusia County on Friday that he'll decide whether to run after "going around the country" working to return a Democrat to the White House.

In Bush's first term, Feingold opposed the president's policies on the Iraq war, USA Patriot Act, Medicare reform, education policy, environmental regulation and abortion rights. He made clear he was leaving his own presidential options open after a club member asked if he plans to run.

For now, Feingold said, he wants to be "part of the process" of identifying a candidate likely to succeed George W. Bush in 2008. That involves helping to create "national organizations of people to make that happen," he said.

A decision to run hinges on "whether I feel I'll be the best candidate to win," he said, adding, "I'm not going to even worry about that right now."
Do people really get the news from late night shows? Is it really the hip thing to do?!? I watch Nightly News with Brian Williams to get my news.

The UN gives money to terrorist organizations. Where was our vote on this?!?

Like I said, it's a lengthy one so if you made it this far, give yourself a pat on the back...

No comments: