Monday, January 31, 2005

Letterman pays tribute, Wallace hates Bush

David Letterman pays tribute tonight. I'll have the scoop after the show so I don't spoil it for the loyal readers (over 200 of you I think).

ESPN reports that Detroit Pistons Coach Larry Brown plans to retire as a Pistons coach sometime down the road.
"I'm not going to coach anywhere but Detroit," Brown said after he and the Pistons met President Bush in an East Room reception. "It's my last pro coaching job."[...]

Asked if he would take a college coaching job, Brown said, "Oh, I don't look at that."

Speculation that the much-traveled, Brooklyn-born Brown was thinking about leaving the Pistons and taking over the New York Knicks began Friday, when he was quoted in a New York newspaper as saying the Knicks' job was one he had "dreamed about many times."

But Brown said there was more to it than that.

"I told [a reporter] what I'm telling you," Brown told the Detroit Free Press on Monday. "Did I say it was my dream job? Yes, I told him it once was. But they passed me over twice. I grew up in New York. I talked to the guy about that. I talked to him about Red Holzman... 've never been smart enough to say 'no comment.'"[...]

Bush joked that he had something in common with the Pistons, who defeated the heavily favored Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 in June's NBA Finals.

"Nobody expected you to win," Bush said. "I know how you feel."[...]

One player who wasn't as enthusiastic about the team's White House visit was Rasheed Wallace. Asked on Sunday what he would say to President Bush when they met, the Pistons forward told the Free Press: "I don't have [expletive] to say to him. I didn't vote for him. It's just something we have to do."

No comments: