Thursday, March 03, 2005

Mark Udall News

I was tipped about this, except it was for Governor, at the same time I heard that Gov. Dave Freudenthal (D-WY) would not have any real opposition.

Here it is, the press release from Colorado US Representative Mark Udall.
Since the beginning of the year many Coloradans have contacted me and shared their encouragement about my future. Some have urged me to run for Governor in 2006, while others believe I should build on my seniority, experience and bipartisan style in Congress to seek a United States Senate seat in 2008.

I am deeply grateful for the support, confidence and advice of so many friends and have taken time to fully consider their views. In life there are times for contemplation and times for decision.

Now is a time for decision.

Therefore, I am announcing today that I intend to seek re-election in 2006 and with the support and encouragement of the people of the 2nd District, pursue a U.S. Senate seat in 2008.

My heart and my head tell me that as tempting as a run for Governor is in 2006, I have a stronger desire and determination to serve in Congress and focus on the important federal issues that make America's future uncertain. In Congress I have established a voice on these issues, including the war in Iraq, national security, terrorism and energy independence, and, frankly, I am reluctant to set out on a different path, even if this different path makes statewide service easier to attain.

Last year, I joked about having launched the shortest U.S. Senate campaign in Colorado history; I am now embarking on what may be the longest.

My years of experience climbing some of the world’s tallest mountains have taught me well. You must keep your eye on the next step, your mind focused on the risks and possibilities along the route, but always with your spirit and energy focused on the summit. The summit I have in mind is not about achieving office, but rather, to work hard to serve the people of Colorado and my country at a critical time in our nation's history.
I most certainly wish him the best of luck with the hopes that he will join Senator Ken Salazar.

Will a similar announcement be made by Rep. Ben Chandler of Kentucky?

No comments: