Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Transcript of the Week

Because you can never say "no" directly once!. This one comes from Meet the Press, hosted by Tim Russert, from Sunday, March 13, 2005.

MR. RUSSERT: Before you go, let me show you some photographs on the screen. Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Adams, Van Buren, Buchanan. What do those six men have in common?

SECRETARY RICE: Oh, Tim, that's too tough for a Sunday morning.

MR. RUSSERT: They were all Presidents of the United States that were at one time Secretaries of State.

SECRETARY RICE: Okay. All right.

MR. RUSSERT: In light of that, I was up on the Internet last night and found this website: www.americansforrice.com, and it features these bumper stickers and this song. (Song is played.) Should that website be removed?

SECRETARY RICE: It's freedom of speech. But let me say, I don't have any desire or intention of running for President. I've never wanted to run for anything and I just don't have any desire to do it.

MR. RUSSERT: Desire or intention?

SECRETARY RICE: Both.

MR. RUSSERT: There was a great American named General William Sherman, and this is what he said: "If nominated, I will not accept. If elected, I will not serve." Will you issue a Shermanesque statement?

SECRETARY RICE: Tim, I don't want to run for President of the United States.

MR. RUSSERT: I will not run?

SECRETARY RICE: I do not intend to run for -- no, I will not run for President of the United States. How's that?

MR. RUSSERT: Period?

SECRETARY RICE: I don't know how many different ways to say no in this town.

MR. RUSSERT: Period?

SECRETARY RICE: I really don't.

MR. RUSSERT: Period? I will not run as President -- for President?

SECRETARY RICE: I have no intention. I don't want to run. I think people who run are great, but I don't want to run.

MR. RUSSERT: That's a Shermanesque statement?

SECRETARY RICE: A Shermanesque statement.

MR. RUSSERT: You're done. You're out?

SECRETARY RICE: I'm done.

MR. RUSSERT: There's news. (Laughter.)

SECRETARY RICE: I hope not.

MR. RUSSERT: Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who just said she will never run for President; correct?

SECRETARY RICE: Tim, why do you keep pressing me to make these statements?

MR. RUSSERT: Well, because if you're Secretary of State will it affect your ability--

SECRETARY RICE: I don't want to run for President of the United States. I have no intention of doing so. I don't think I'll be President of the United States ever. Is that good enough?

MR. RUSSERT: And you'll never run?

SECRETARY RICE: I don't intend to run.

MR. RUSSERT: But it's different--

SECRETARY RICE: I won't run.

MR. RUSSERT: Oh, we got it.

SECRETARY RICE: All right, there you go.

MR. RUSSERT: Thanks very much.

No comments: