Wednesday, January 18, 2006

John Yarmuth's farewell?

John Yarmuth wrote in his column today that it may be goodbye for now until after the filing deadline has passed. Yarmuth is considering a run for Congress.
Northup for the 3rd District seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. It is not a tough decision, not the least ramification of which would be leaving this space.

Suffice to say that a seat in Congress is not a lifelong ambition. Nothing in my professional career has been as satisfying as addressing the issues of the day (and some eternal issues as well) with an audience of intellectually curious readers.

Over the past few months, however, I realized that I have, in a sense, been in an ivory tower. I have written these columns and pontificated on television, but I have never tested my ideas "on the street." The prospect of doing so began to appeal to me.

More important, I continue to be concerned that the current occupant of the seat has never been held to account for the votes she cast, the special interests that support her, and the national agenda that she has religiously pushed. Clearly, I strongly disagree with that agenda, which favors corporations over people, money over the environment and the wealthiest over the most needy. When it looked as though there would be no legitimate challenger to Rep. Northup, I started to give the race some serious attention.[...]

Over the past four weeks I have been talking to people across the social, economic and political spectrum in Louisville. I have been gratified and even humbled by the response. For example, I have met with labor union leaders who have told me that they would be proud for me to carry their banner in the campaign. For an East End ivy-leaguer, their confidence in me means more than I can say.[...]

This process has been a difficult one, not only for me but also for the leadership of LEO. Ultimately, they concluded that I should address the question of my candidacy, even though we realize that it will be perceived by some as favoritism should I proceed with the race. (I am sure any other candidate’s response will be welcome.) They also have decided — and I agree with their decision — that this is the last column I should write until the filing deadline has passed. So until then, or maybe for longer, I will say goodbye.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens and I wish John Yarmuth the best of luck in his decision.

No comments: